VMware Cloud Community
Sergio_2017
Contributor
Contributor

ERROR! BANK6: not a VMware boot bank No hypervisor found.

Physical server UCS 220 m4s V02.
Installed a RAID controller with this type of configuration:
SSD 480 gb -2 pcs. (RAID1) (VMware ESXi, 6.5.0)
Where 3 virtual pc were deployed.
The mother collapsed, burned down and it was changed, I connected the disks separately, the information was preserved.
I tried to connect the disk via the USB port and boot from it, since there is no SATA port on the motherboard, but it does not boot writes an error:
BANK6: not a VMware boot bank
No hypervisor found.

SSD 480 gb -2 pcs. (RAID1) (SQL) -This RAID has not collapsed normally displayed in the BIOS of the controller.

Is it possible to restore the RAID somehow? or start the system to take a snapshot.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
Let's assume that your disk controller (RAID) is onboard, i.e. it is included on the motherboard.

Usually the disk controller has a copy of its internal configuration and another copy on the disks.

When the controller fails, the controller is changed and the disks are connected so that the new controller detects the existing configuration on the disks. Usually a message is presented indicating that it detected a pre-existing configuration and if we want to use it, otherwise it will have to enter in the administration of the controller and activate the existing configuration in the disks.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
Sergio_2017
Contributor
Contributor

I reviewed the entire Raid Bios, and I can't find this function there, could you tell me how to do this correctly, or tell me which menu item is responsible for this? I'm afraid not to press and erase the info.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19UEwgHLYt0i-TQqcb6_09eYkpy1Crbdz/view?usp=sharing

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Hi,

on your pct. I can see raid1=890GB

and 2 drives (w/o Raid), each  446GB.

Where is your esx installed there?

Reg

Christian Z.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Hi,

normally under the Foreign config.

Reg

Christian Z.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Hi,

normally the way is following:

detach the disks!! (all) from the controller

go into raid bios and then clear the configuration (this will clear all the configurations in the raid controller)

then connect the drives again and go into the Foreign Config (it should see the config from the disks)

get this configuration back

done

Reg

Christian Z.