VMware Cloud Community
Tipple
Contributor
Contributor

EOALPHABETICARABICARABICABJADARABICALPHABAHTTEXTCAPSCARDTEXTCHARFORMATCHI

Hi Guys

We have two sites now that have recently converted to ESXi 5.0. Everything appears to be running sweet as apart from one annoying intermittent niggle. When the users go to save or print a Microsoft Word 2007 file they will occasionally be greeted with this very un-user friendly message

Microsoft Word

EOALPHABETICARABICARABICABJADARABICALPHABAHTTEXTCAPSCARDTEXTCHARFORMATCHI

(C:\...\Content.MSO\BFBE0A6F.docx)

Before we cut over the user was using the same version of Office 2007 and the same Windows 7 PC’s. They were networked via a physical SBS2003 domain. And they never experienced this issue….

Now they are networked via a virtualized SBS2011 domain hosted by ESXi5.0.

So I guess two major things have changed. Virtualization and different server software.

Interestingly we have several other similar setups but the users are on Office 2010 and they have never reported this issue. They run the same server SBS2011 software hosted on ESXi 5.0.

I’m guessing a Office 2007 incompatibility glitch with ESXi 5.0….?

Anyone else struck this one…?

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - The issue is not with VMware - there are no compatability glitches with Office 2007 that I know of

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As said above, MS office has no known compatibility issues with ESXi and windows VMs. However, just for curiosity, I googled the error message you have posted and seems to be Office 2007 specific issue with the functionalities of Save as, Print.

Tipple
Contributor
Contributor

Cheers zX_Gamer

Stuffed if I could Google anything helpful related to that hideous
error message. All I could find was links to some poor souls trying to write
script files. The theme seemed to revolve around saving the file to the same
file name with another version of the file open in another session...?

Anyway, if you could post some of those links you unearthed
regarding Office 2007 that would be appreciated....

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
Tipple
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks weinstein5

Good to know...

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

When you try to print a file, Word takes a small copy of the file to its hidden folders and once printed, it deletes it. Also, when the document is opened, a tmp of the same doc is created to carry over the delta.

In short, it boils down to two things:

1. Either the user privileges,. ie. from where is the document being printed and which user and to where. In the process, is the file being changed anywhere else by other user??

2. Word 2007 file save errors - an error is displayed when attempting to save a Word document - Micros...

And of course, this thread has to be taken up with the MS forum. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos