VMware Cloud Community
sr_whq
Contributor
Contributor

EMC Clariion CX400

Hi,

Is it possible to use an EMC Clariion CX400 with ESX 4.0? HCL says no - but are there any tricks?

Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
24 Replies
whynotq
Commander
Commander

regardless of the firmware, emc configuration, etc... you need to get the HBA connectivity sorted first. I'd start with cable padgenation, make sure that there is a Tx coming from the host and going to the correct port on the SP. if that is ok then I'd take the HBA down to 1Gb hard set and build up from there.

0 Kudos
sr_whq
Contributor
Contributor

I have one light each on both fibre ports of the HBA and on the SPA-0 port. So, basic connectivity should be given. I ordered new cables, but they haven't been delivered yet...I'll try your suggestion to set the HBA to 1Gbit this evening - should I set the EMC accordingly or does it sense the fibre speed?

0 Kudos
whynotq
Commander
Commander

ignore all the technology bits, set 1Gb both ends check the optics have a Tx light, use a sheet of white paper if you are worried about a laser in the eye, if the optics are ok plug the cable in to the host and make sure the Tx is still strong and that it is going into the correct side on the SP port. I have had a number of instances like yours sounds where the cable crosses over and the Tx of the cable is is paired up with the Tx in the SP port.

If it works at 1GB then it could be a bad GBIC at one end, hopefully not the CX400, or a damaged cable.

0 Kudos
sr_whq
Contributor
Contributor

Cable was perfect. HBA is perfect. CX400 is perfect. ESX isNOT perfect.

ESX does not accept SAN storage directly attached to the ESX's HBA. After I got my Brocade 3800 and simply switched it on, everything worked out the box; immediately after the running ESX host presented the LUNs I setup and was able to use them for VMFS.

Thanks for your help never the less! You guys are great and have incredible patience with n00bs like me.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would be more inclined to think the configuration or the cable isn't configured for direct connection (think of it as you tried to connect 2 pc's together using a normal cable).

That also wouldn't work until you put a switch in place (or replaced cables with crossover).

0 Kudos