VMware Cloud Community
riahc3
Contributor
Contributor

EFI mode corrupting GPT partition table?

Im wondering if anyone has suffered this in ESXi 5.5 but has anyone made a VM with EFI and it corrupts the GPT partition table of a RDM drive???

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alistar
Expert
Expert

Hello,

this is highly possible because by RDM you are giving the VM direct access to the designated LUN. Speaking of Windows, if you have not configured the LUN further via diskpart at the beginning of the installation, it is possible that the OS has created its own partitions as it has seen fit, possibly touching something it wasn't supposed to.

How extensive is your problem? What exactly happened? Thanks for answers in advance.

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
riahc3
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for taking so long to reply. So are you saying it is a RDM issue or a Windows issue? Well, the format is already made. Its already a NTFS drive when I put it into the ESXi and RDM it. Ive never AFAIK wiped it and diskparted it. The problema is VERY extensive. It disappears when when I try in disk manager to add it again, it says I have to initialize it. Usually, I would unplug it, replug it to a eSATA dock I have on my PC, and then again spend countless hours passing the data all over again. I have discovered that usign a liveCD in ESXi with TestDisk fixes it so.... I plan to put 4 drives so obviously I cant be doing this always much less it being a RAID5 or something. Thank you for your reply

0 Kudos
riahc3
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.0 seems to have fixed this issue.

0 Kudos