VMware Cloud Community
bhanojig9
Contributor
Contributor

Duplicate VM's on two datastores - Esxi 5.5

Hi Guys,

I have landed into a situation where I had storage vmotioned a VM to a different datastore but now I find that vm in two different places.. the old DS and the new one.

I can only see the vmdk in the new DS which is good I guess but when I browse the old DS i see few files still hanging in der plus a vmx file (Please note that there is a vmx in the new location as well)

I cant shutdown the old ghost VM and also I cant find it on the host it says its on.. using ssh

Files in the old DS

oldds.JPG

Files in the new DS

newds.JPG

I am thinking to perform a a fresh stoarge VM of the working VM to a different DS... any other ideas I can try out?

I cant shutdown the ghost VM and cant event power it off

-A

5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Can you confirm that the Storage vMotion process finished successfully (see Events and Tasks)? With large vmware*.log files Storage vMotion can take a very long time to finish, where it sits on 100% with a status of Cleaning up ... It seems that VMware uses the native cp command to migrate the vmware*.log files rather than a VMFS friendly copy algorithm. During the time the Storage vMotion is still in progress, the VM cannot be managed, and that's how it looks like in this case.

I'm not sure whether restarting the hosts Management Services, or even the vCenter Server service might help!?

André

csmith34
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

can you kill the vm on the host?

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101416...

can you remove and re-add the vmx to inventory? 

can you create a temp vm with cpu and memory then add the vmdk's?

can you take the outage? is it a critical vm?

if the .vmdk's are intake you can revcover,@@

0 Kudos
csmith34
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

where did the snaps come from is your backup solution running too? 

0 Kudos
bhanojig9
Contributor
Contributor

Restarted the management services on the host and the VM showed up as Orphaned and I was able to remove it from Inventory!

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

Sometimes SVmotion of a VM with snapshots can cause this.

How about we SVmotion it back to the old datastore, consolidate all the snapshots and migrate it back to the required datastore.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos