VMware Cloud Community
Bucky101
Contributor
Contributor

Duplicate Element 'Instance ID'

When I try deploy an OVA file to esxi (no vcenter) 6.7 I am getting this error message.  Have tried a completely different OVA (different product) and getting the same.

Line 66 Duplicate element 'InstanceID'

Originally thought it was because ESXI could not handle the OVA properties so I tried deploying using the OVF tool with the properties injected.  Still getting the same error.

Please help

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Hi

Can you give more information or generate log files of OVA Deployment? When you choose a name for your deploying VM, please check is there any related VM objects (like VMDK or etc) with same name on your datastore?

Can you try it on another host if it's possible? (even on a virtual ESXi)

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
dougbins
Contributor
Contributor

We are experiencing the same issue in a test deployment of a new esx6.7 stand-alone host.

This is a fresh installation, first VM to be deployed.

I'm unable to locate anything in the log files that relates.

any recommendations on how to proceed?

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

I think this problem is related to the manifest file of your OVA appliance. Can you download them and try again to deploy ...

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
dougbins
Contributor
Contributor

I think you're correct.  If I unpack the OVA, and delete the .mf file, I'm able to deploy the VM using the OVF and VMDK files.

Separately, this OVA was created to allow for a choice between a 2vCPU deployment and a 6vCPU deployment, I found that if I choose the 2vCPU deployment, deployment by OVA does work, but does not work with the 6vCPU deployment.

This looks like a case where the original ova creation process and its customization settings might need to be looked at.

Thanks,

0 Kudos