VMware Cloud Community
dscheyen
Contributor
Contributor

Duplex and speed esx 4.1

Good day

I have recently installed esx 4.1 and in VC 4.1 under configuration > Network adapters > my vmnic0 states 1000 Full under speed and 10000 Full under configured. Under Configuration > Networking > properties on the first switch where vmnic0 resides under network adapters it states 1000 Full under speed but when I go to edit on that nic it shows 10000mb,Full Duplex and will not give me an option to choose anything else. Any ideas? Is there a network config file where I can manually change this setting?

FYI these are HP blade 490's

Thanks for the help

David

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

ssh to the host or login to the console of the ESX. Use the command esxcfg-nics to make changes with the speed or duplex of physical NIC.

# esxcfg-nics
esxcfg-nics <options> [nic]
   -s|--speed <speed>      Set the speed of this NIC to one of 10/100/1000/10000.
                           Requires a NIC parameter.
   -d|--duplex <duplex>    Set the duplex of this NIC to one of 'full' or 'half'.
                           Requires a NIC parameter.
   -a|--auto               Set speed and duplexity automatically.  Requires a NIC parameter.
   -l|--list               Print the list of NICs and their settings.
   -r|--restore            Restore the nics configured speed/duplex settings (INTERNAL ONLY)
   -h|--help               Display this message.
0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Great KB for you http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1004089

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
dscheyen
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info guys but I have tried both of those suggestions, when I ssh on to the console the esxcfg-nics -l info is displayed right but when I go to vcenter it is different.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Test:

1 - Access with VI Client directly host and check if you can change speed

2 - certify if your user have administrator privilegies.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
dscheyen
Contributor
Contributor

I connected client directly to the host and no difference, and yes I am using an account with admin rights. Thank you for the reply

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

try find this archive and inside any configuration about physical adapter

/etc/vmware/esx.conf (all informations of network shown in VI Client its provide by this archive)

note: in case of use blade server you see speed that was connected with internal switch. If you´re using passtrough you see link speed connected with your switch core.

check if dont have any configuration strange in your internal switch of blade

0 Kudos
dscheyen
Contributor
Contributor

I don't see anything specific to the adapter settings

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

dscheyen wrote:

I have recently installed esx 4.1 and in VC 4.1 under configuration > Network adapters > my vmnic0 states 1000 Full under speed and 10000 Full under configured.

My experience is that the GUI in 4.x for the "configured" speed and duplex very often show "full", when it actually is set to "auto". This was fixed in ESXi 5.0.

Do you have issues with the duplex settings, as from bad performance (late collisions) or other?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos