VMware Cloud Community
HelgeL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dumpfile locked by nonexisting ESX

Hello,

I want to remove some LUN's form my ESXi, but in one LUN there is a folder called vmkdump. It contains one .dumpfile and I can not delete it.

Following this kb: VMware Knowledge Base and running the command: esxcli system coredump file list on all the hosts shows that they all know of this file, and that is not configured and not active.

Running the command vmkfstools -D <coredump file> gives me an ID witch according to this KB: VMware Knowledge Base should be the the MAC of the host that owns the file.

None of my current hosts has this MAC address, witch leads me to believe that the dump file is created by an old ESX that I have decommissioned.

How can I remove this file safely?

HelgeL

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can double check with network person if they are able to see the MAC on their network devices connected with these ESXi hosts.

Also, check with backup guys if they have configured this datastore in their system and get it removed and then try again.

Same goes for any 3rd party application configured to work with vCenter in your environment, if any.

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Wolken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any luck after host or vCenter restart?

0 Kudos
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can double check with network person if they are able to see the MAC on their network devices connected with these ESXi hosts.

Also, check with backup guys if they have configured this datastore in their system and get it removed and then try again.

Same goes for any 3rd party application configured to work with vCenter in your environment, if any.

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
HelgeL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I talked to the network guy and he found me an IP that goes with the MAC address.

I will try and delete the file later today from that server.

0 Kudos
HelgeL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That solved my problem. I was able to delete the files on the LUN from that server and It's now been successfully removed.

tank you

0 Kudos