VMware Cloud Community
simondo007
Contributor
Contributor

Dropping ping packets on hosts (management network) but guest vm network doesnt drop a single packet esxi 5.5.0

Hi,

As the title indicates I'm having an issue with both of my hosts dropping packets which is causing issues whilst trying to replicate from one host to another. I have 2 separate vswitches one has the VM's on it and the other is purely management.

I have changed the physical NIC's over (so the working ones on the VM's were assigned to the management network and vice versa) and this still didn't resolve the issue - so its not them. I have allocated a single nic to the management network and turned off the NIC teaming to try and resolve the issue but its not making a difference.

Any suggestions as to what else I can test?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
pulso
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The same behaviour on my two ESXi hosts (5.1 and 5.5).

Pings from the console hosts to the network, work fine.

Pings from and to every virtual machine in these hosts, work fine.

Pings from the network to the hosts (or vSphere Client sessions) get packets dropped, lost and disconnections.

Please, any suggestion?.

Thanks in advanced.

0 Kudos
simondo007
Contributor
Contributor

My solution was to use a Dell specific build of VMware 5.5. Since loading that everything has worked great.

0 Kudos
pulso
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for the reply.

So, I must guess it's a NIC issue, do you think so?

I am using testing hosts in advanced PCs with NIC Realtek R8168.

Greetings,

0 Kudos
simondo007
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I don't think it is a NIC issue as I allocated different physical nics to the management network which would work when on the VM switch but would drop packets when connected to the management network. I didn't spend to long trying to work out what the problem was as it was easier just to setup the host with the correct vendor specific version of esxi 5.5.

0 Kudos
pulso
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thanks, geetings

0 Kudos