VMware Cloud Community
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Dropped packets showing in ESXTOP

We have about 30 Windows VMs under vSphere 5.1. I am using esxtop to monitor the network and I see some odd behavior. Under the %DroppedPacketsReceived (%DRPRX) column you can see the issue. This column will show zeros for all VMs for a few seconds then all the VMs will show packet loss for a few seconds, then back to zero. I opened a ticket with VMWare and a tech worked on it for about 2 hours and could not find the root cause. He asked me to do some packet captures which I have tried through port-mirroring on a real port as well as port-mirroring on my DVSwitch. So far I cannot even find who is sending these packets. Since all VMs show dropped packets at the same time I am thinking some type of broadcast or multicast transmission.

Any ideas on how I can solve this problem?

DroppedPackets.png

0 Kudos
8 Replies
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

Perhaps installing Wireshark on one of the VM's can help? Do all the VM's show this? Even a newly created?

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you look at the screen shot above, one of my VMs is a Win7 machine with Wireshark installed. It shows 40% packet loss in the last column. When I run the capture I do not see anything obvious but of course I am a bit new to using packet capture software so I am not exactly sure what I should be looking for when it comes to dropped packets. All VMs show this behavior

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Are all the VM's Linux .?? or you have windows as well.?

Thanks,

Avinash

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

Other question, do the physical switch report any errors on the ports?

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

All the VMs are either Windows Server 2008 R2 (server cluster) or Win7 (View cluster). All the VMs show this same behavior with dropped packets

I checked a few physical switch ports looking for errors and did not see any

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I figured it out

This thread about half way through talks about VDS Health Check sending out broadcast packets

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2280450

I disabled the Health Check and the dropped packets vanished. Any idea why a VM would drop packets from the VDS health check?

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

Are your VM's in the same broadcast domain as the host's management VMkernel?

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

They are not. I have a separate vswitch that handles just management traffic across vlan 123. This vswitch is attached to two 1GB Cisco switches. I have two other 10GB physical switches that handle VM traffic (vlan 125), iSCSI traffic (vlan 126), and vMotion (vlan 127). I have a dvSwitch setup for this purpose. I am wondering if my dvSwitch is setup properly.

• When I had the dvSwitch Health Check enabled, the reporting never worked quite right. I got the green checkmarks (setup correct) for some parameters and just a ? for others
  • When the health check is on I see dropped packets on every VM. I do not see dropped packets in ESXTOP on vmnics or vkernel ports, just on VMs
0 Kudos