VMware Cloud Community
rwfrazier
Contributor
Contributor

Downloading an image file from the ESXi server

Greetings everyone,

I am having an issue downloading an image off of the server and onto my desktop. I go to the datatstore and select the folder I want then I browse to the location I want to store it.

After I have downloaded the image I try to open it using VMWare Workstation of VMWare Player and it does not open. I get an error that says "edition-000001.vmdk or one of the snapshot disks it depends on. Reason: Then parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created"

Do I need to do anything special to get it opened up. I wanted to take the image off of the server and put it on a laptop so it can be worked on there.

Thank you,

Richard

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rwfrazier
Contributor
Contributor

Funny I just noticed the typo in my title.

Message was edited by: Dave.Mishchen… - fixed title.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I assume your VM is powered off when you do the download?

However, instead off downloading the files from the datastore, use VMware Converter.

André

0 Kudos
rwfrazier
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply,

Yes I had the VM powered down and it did download. With the VMConverter is there anything special I need to be aware of or is it as simple as finding the folder and downloading.

Also I have a side question. I noticed in the datatstore that there were duplicate folders which were all named the same but with a _1. Any idea what these folders are and are they the ones to download?

Thanks,

Richard

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Also I have a side question. I noticed in the datatstore that there were duplicate folders which were all named the same but with a _1. Any idea what these folders are and are they the ones to download?

Interesting, can you please attach a screenshot, how these folders look like.

André

0 Kudos
rwfrazier
Contributor
Contributor

The VM is called CognosExpressDemo and there is only one of them. However there are 2 seperate folders one of which has a _1 attached to it. There are a few more in the datastore with the same _1 and I have no idea what this means.

0 Kudos
rwfrazier
Contributor
Contributor

No screen shot, let me just attached it.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you import this VM?

Usually VMware adds the "_1" if there's a name conflict, i.e. the folder name already exists.

To know which is the correct folder for the VM, you should choose "Edit Settings" for your VM and check the folder name there. Maybe you downloaded a wrong and/or corrupt folder.

BTW: You will also see the "_1" (or "_2", "_3", ...) for additional virtual disks which you create for one VM.

André

0 Kudos
rwfrazier
Contributor
Contributor

Humm interesting. That could be it. This server was already set up and these images were most likley imported.

Thanks for the help. Just to let you know I was able to use the VM Converter to retreive my VM. Funny thing is I tried to open the image on an old Dell D610. They image was configured for 2 cpu's so it would not open on this machine. I had to jump on the Dell E6410 and it opened with no problem.

Richard.

0 Kudos