VMware Cloud Community
ESXi5dot1
Contributor
Contributor

Download VMware vCenter -- What do I download exactly to manage ESXi 5.1 ?

Download VMware vCenter -- What do I download exactly to manage ESXi 5.1 ?

Hi,

On the VMWare ESXi's main page ( screenshot attached) when accessed via the Internet browser I can choose "Download VMware vCenter" but what exactly do I choose afterwards ?

I am thinking that there is an alternate (besides VMWare Vsphere Client) application to manage ESXi 5.1 host, and if yes, what exactly do I need to download ? I suppose VMWare vCenter which I think I've found but if I recall there was VMWare vCenter standard, essential, maybe enterprise, etc. I am pretty sure I've see those versions before, but right now I am getting "You do not have access to an Account. Check with your Super User, Procurement Contact or Administrator." <-- but this is a 2nd issue, which I am not inquiring about. I am trying to figure out what and how to use an alternate tool to manage the VMWare ESXi 5.1 host.

Regards,

cweks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kashifkarar01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

You can use Putty or Power cli to manage your ESXi 5.1 host. However, for GUI you can use vCenter server which comes with webclient as well. As per the message it looks like you would need to involve your account support manager and verify that the upgrade is in place. If not, you can also register with VMware and download the trail vcenter and then evaluate and then purchase license

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Basically there are two option to manage ESXi hosts. Depending on whether you are using a licensed (paid) ESXi edition and also have a license for vCenter Server, you can use the vSphere Web Client or the WIndows based vSphere Client. For the free Hypervisor, only the Windows based vSphere Client can be used.

Besides the above mentioned "native" Clients it's also possible to at least partly manage ESXi using VMware Workstation.

André

0 Kudos
lakshya32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to communities.

AP explained very well and in short line ,if paid version then best is  vSphere Web Client

0 Kudos