VMware Cloud Community
KaiTakoda
Contributor
Contributor

Downgrade 6.5 -> 6.0

I downgraded my esxi host from 6.5 to 6.0, and now i can't see the files from the datastore.  I was able to mount the datastore, but i think it created a new VMFS instead of mapping the one that was already there.  How can i map the old VMFS so that i can create a new VM using the VM disk that was running on ESXi 6.5?

ESXi Newb.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vasan22in
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I wanted to ask few question,

1) Did you create those VMs on Shared datastore, or local datastore of ESXi OS installed.

2) If VMs are in shared datastore no issues, if it's in local datastore of ESXi 6.5 installation. Make sure while replacing that OS with ESXi 6.0 that installation doesn't affect VMFS partition.

3) Existing running VMs are created in which hardware version, because ESXi 6.5 support hardware version 13, ESXi 6.0 will not support.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Thanks, Srini
0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

Try this option and check your files are visible or not .

Reverting to a previous version of ESXi (1033604) | VMware KB

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
KaiTakoda
Contributor
Contributor

1. Theeeee datastore is local

2.  I did not overwrite datastore partition.  I think i can still see the old datastore, i just ca't seem to mount it

3.  I want to create a new VM on ESXi 6.0 and use the vm disk from the vm that was running on 6.5.

Any ideas.

Trent

0 Kudos
vasan22in
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

You didn't answer my last question,

Existing running VMs are created in which hardware version, because ESXi 6.5 support hardware version 13, ESXi 6.0 will not support.

If you created VMs in hardware version 13, it will not support in ESXi 6.0. Can you check and let me know.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Thanks, Srini
0 Kudos
Srini_thia
Contributor
Contributor

I hope you have downgraded your esxi host from 6.5 to 6.0 using DCUI roll backup option. If yes then your virtual machine files on the local datastore will be available. Please check the disk status on your esxi shell with command "df -h". You can mount and add the machine to inventory.

Note:- Please consider the hardware version of the virtual machines. It shouldn't be13.

Regards,

Srini

VCP6-DCV

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

If you created the datastore with ESXi 6.5 you have a problem.
ESXi 6.0 cant read VMFS from 6.5
In other words - in practical terms there is no downgrade path from 6.5 to 6

0 Kudos