VMware Cloud Community
ricardoclaus
Contributor
Contributor

Doubts about network interface in ESXI 6.0

Dear,

I am a beginner with the hypervisor ESXI 6.0 free.

I have a doubt. The server physically has 4 network interfaces.

How do I determine that the VM2 use only the network interface number 2?

I realized that, by default, ESXI has a Virtual Machine Port Group, called VM NETWORK.

This would be a pool of interfaces? It is possible to change this pool?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
yak9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are more then one ways to do it. One of them would be to create another VM portgroup on that vSwitch and then:

1. Go to portgroup properties
  2. Check "Override" checkbox in "Failover order" of "Teaming and failover"
  3. Put NIC#2 in "Active adapters" list
  4. Put all other NICs in "Unused adapters" list
0 Kudos
ricardoclaus
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Yak 9,

First, thank you for your help.

Sorry for the delay in responding, I returned yesterday journey.

I realized some changes as your tip.

I created a new portgroup, where only 3 interface is active. The other interfaces I removed.

In portgroup standard "VM Network", I pulled out the interface 3.

It worked perfectly. In the settings of the VM, I changed the interface, pointing to the new portgroup, and tested through the ping command, after disconnecting the network cable from the interface 3.

Could you explain in a nutshell, what is the difference between vSwitch and Portgroup?

The vSwitch would be the set of all physical server interfaces, while the Portgroup would be a group / virtual interface pool?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
yak9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Definitions of VMware networking concepts, including vSwitch and Standard Port Groups, are on pages 11-12 of following document: http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-601-networ...

I strongly suggest you to read this document )

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

vSwitch is the collection of portgroups. Each Portgroup can represent the different department of business of the company. By default all the nics those are presented to vSwitch are available as an active adapters in all the portgroups of that vSwitch, Lets assume you have 4 physical nics connected to vSwitch and then all .4 would be active for all the portgroups of that vSwitch  Now you want first two physical nics must only be used by the dept1 port group then you can go to department 1 portgroup properties and configure this. Another reason of creating the multiple portgroups on vSwitch is two configure different security policies, vlan etc. as per the requirement of department.

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos