VMware Cloud Community
matheusfigueire
Contributor
Contributor

Doubt about using VCPUs for 6 vcpu machine

Hi, 

I have a 32 core VCPU and a ratio under 1:1 (about 0.87) and the processor is an Intel 4216 32 cores with HT 

The system needs to much from the cpu because the application isn´t very performatic and has some bugs

Which is the better configuration to use in the vms 

6 cores x 1 socket  or  2 cores x 3 sockets or 3 cores x 2 sockets 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

The 4216 is a low end 16 Core CPU. With HT enabled it reports 32 logical CPU to your Hypervisor. So you ratio is > 1:1 if you leave HT out of the game. In larger farms HT add up to 25% so there is a benefit. But as often always... it depends on YOUR workload.

About the CPU configuration it doesnt make a difference as long as you stay within your NUMA Node size. I personally would avoid the 3 socket configuration it doesnt feel right. I remember in the early days of AMD 3 Core CPUs that not all OS CPU schedulers like them.

Why not just edit the CPU config and watch esxtop when performing some workload?

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
matheusfigueire
Contributor
Contributor

I think it´s 32 core vcpu, see the image. 

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

No. I have to read Intel ARK on regulary basis because iam a HW reseller (Dell/VMware) so iam sure you have a 16 Core CPU 🙂

If you see 64 logical CPUs you have a 2 socket system. IIRC you see better information when clicking on Host->Configuration->Processor (Its a entry in the bottom).

So with a 6 vCPU you are within your NUMA boundary  which mean it doesnt matter if you select 6x1, 3x2 or 1x6.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
matheusfigueire
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, are you correct. 

We have 2 socket 

Thanks for the anwser 

0 Kudos