VMware Cloud Community
ESXi4
Contributor
Contributor

Does vSphere Essentials purchase include technical suppor from VMWARE?

I'm running ESXi4 under on a single hp proliant g5 server with 10 GB RAM, 2 L5420 CPUs and a RAID5 array of 6 SAS disks.

According to VMWARE licencing terms, I'm eligible for the free ESXi4 version.

If I purchase vSphere Essentials 3-year subscription, does it mean that I will be allowed to get technical support from VMWARE from 3 years, or just the sofware updates?

Should I purchase the vCenter server to get the support? I have currently no need in vCenter features (have used the evaluation). I only need the support. What should you advice? Thank you very much in advance for the information.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Essentials Plus includes some support IIRC as well as HA and DR, it looked better value to me.

ESXi4
Contributor
Contributor

"Thank you very much, I have found out that Essentials Plus have support included. Could you please point me to furhter reading whether this support is limited by number of incidents or is unlimited by quantity and only limited by the duration of the subsription?

Do you have good impression about the support in general?

For example, shrink option is not enabled in VMWare Tools for thin-provisioned disks, and I searched the documentation but didn't find why it was disabled.

It was only enabled for thick-provisioned disks, and in this case, it worked but didn't actually free space.

If I write a detailed question about shrink to VMWare, will it be counted as a support incident?

0 Kudos