VMware Cloud Community
jayclen
Contributor
Contributor

Does the LSI MegaRaid 8308ELP RAID Controller report health status in the vSphere Client interface?

I see that the LSI 8308ELP RAID controller is on the Hardware Compatibility List. Does anyone know whether or not the vSphere Client interface shows health status for this card and the individual drives? My understanding from what I read from other forum posts is that as of now only LSI cards show health status in the interface, but I don't know if this particular card does. If you have any knowledge of this please let me know.

I do know the card LSI 8708ELP does report health status (http://communities.vmware.com/message/1194102#1194102).

Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.

-jayclen

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sflanders
Commander
Commander

I see no reason why this would not work, especially since it is on the hardware compatibility list. The health status works through SNMP traps so as long as the host sees the storage it should be able to determine health status.

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
jayclen
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. Even if the RAID controller is listed on the HCL that doesn't mean that health status will be shown. For example, the Adaptec 2405 is on the HCL but doesn't show health status in the vSphere Client interface (http://communities.vmware.com/message/1256502). If the controller card does not support CIM then health status will not be reported.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Ah yes, for some reason I was thinking of checking logs for health

status and not about the CIM. As I recall, LSI is one of the few (maybe

only) RAID card that support CIM. With that said the 8308ELP is a

legacy card so it is possible it does not. I assume you already have this card so you could technically test? Wish I could be of more help...

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
jayclen
Contributor
Contributor

No I don't have this card but I can get one for a good price from ebay right now. I don't want to buy it without knowing for sure. I'm hoping someone has some hands on experience or knowledge about this particular card.

0 Kudos