VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Does creating / removing snapshot causes slow VM network connection ?

Hi,

We find that when we create / remove snapshot for VMs, the network connectivity to those VMs is much degraded.

We just would like to know would there be any relationship between snapshot and underlying network connectivity ?

Your advice is sought.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DineshKarnad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ideally it will not create any problem from network end. however its depends on your network configuration like Vswitch if you are using the same vswitch for prod & backup then it could be create some slowness..

what is the size of VMs ?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alistar
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi again Tony,

basically the ESXi host is telling the SAN on how to implement the delta disk into the base disks. This operation is IO intensive however should not disrupt your network if everything is properly set up. Is there any interfering traffic you might think of? Perhaps flow control? Consistent speed/duplex settings on the whole path? (ESXi, Switches, SAN)

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dear Alistar,

Many thanks for your advice.

My understanding is snapshot should be performed by the underlying SAN (We are using EMC CX).   Creating and removing snapshot should not affect the network connection.

However, when snapshot is created / removed, when I ping that VM, it gives response time like 600ms or even Timeout.

0 Kudos
Alistar
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Tony,

as with your other threads, here we need to know what exact network change was performed to be causing this, there is too many variables in place and this problem seems to get quite deep. Please get in touch with the NW Team and see what information you can get.

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
DineshKarnad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ideally it will not create any problem from network end. however its depends on your network configuration like Vswitch if you are using the same vswitch for prod & backup then it could be create some slowness..

what is the size of VMs ?

0 Kudos