VMware Cloud Community
vDOG201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Does RESXTOP run on ESXi 6.0 ?

I'm struggling to get RESXTOP running in batch mode on VMA 6, with an ESXi 6 server as target.  The program runs for a short time then fails.  The failure can occur when RESXTOP wakes up to take the 2nd sample (i.e.the first set of values), or after a small number of samples (the max I've managed is 6 sample with a 15-minute delay between each).  Previously, pretty much the same script has been running successfully on ESX5/VMA5. I wondered if anyone else has been successful with this combination ?

The server log seems to imply that RESXTOP failed when trying to access memory address 0.

Cheers,

vDOG

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jonathanp
Expert
Expert

yes... p128 of the following pdf

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-60-monito...

Please allocate point if this answer helped you.

Jon

0 Kudos
vDOG201110141
Contributor
Contributor

John,

Thanks for replying.  I should have been more explicit in my post.  I know that RESXTOP is supposed to run (in batch mode) in this environment, but I'd like to know if anyone is actively doing it ?  The fact that it does sometimes collect a few samples, before failing suggests that the basic requirements for running it (such as security) are met.  I just don't understand what could cause it to fail subsequently. Both the VMS and the target ESXi server are not under any stress.  Wish I could say the same for me.Smiley Wink

Pete K

0 Kudos