VMware Cloud Community
aq_mishu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does Intel desktop boards supported by ESXi4.1?

I just got a Intel Desktop Motherboard DH61SA and also will get few more motherboards. I need to test the VMware ESXi4.1 and also need to install them. Processor is intel core i3 3GHz and RAM is 4GB min.

I tried to install the VMWare ESXi4.1 but failed. HCL says only about Xeon and server processors but http://thomaschatham.com/2011/03/my-vmware-esxi-4-1-home-lab/ This link tells that it will run in desktop boards too. I need kind assistance in this regard, as then I can go for a test setup on a budget. (Xeon processor is too expensive for me now)

Mishu~

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
krishna_v78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes, we can install ESXi 4.1 on Desktop Boards, i3 and DH61 is a good combination. However, I would suggest only for training or VMs with low capacity.

Make sure VT option is enabled in BIOS.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lelunha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can install ESXi 4.1 on laptop's vmware workstation for lab. Your cpu was support feature  Virtualization Technology (VT) (http://ark.intel.com/Products/VirtualizationTechnology). To use the function , you have to enable in bios .Good luck to you !

aq_mishu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

guys,

I am not interested to load ESXi 4.1 in my laptop. also my laotop is running on atom and i have no plan to load it there. For a testing purpose, and a for a home purpose, I have plan to use ESXi4.1 that I want to install in a m/b from intel DH61SA. Corei3 processor.

Now, it is not installing. I have checked the entire bios section for Intel VT but actually I am missing this part... i cant find this out... anyway... just i need to know if this m/b really supports or not...

Also can i install fresh ESXi 4.1 (not in a VM workstation) in a desktop m/b?? ofcourse that must support 64bit...

Or I have to go to server boards without any option...???

Mishu~

0 Kudos
krishna_v78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes, we can install ESXi 4.1 on Desktop Boards, i3 and DH61 is a good combination. However, I would suggest only for training or VMs with low capacity.

Make sure VT option is enabled in BIOS.

0 Kudos
aq_mishu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

fine... but I tried to install and failed... it said me to check the HCL...

I'm not sure what to do... And I'm only planning to run 2 VMs for a IPT solution (LAB setup) where there will be one as main CM and another one is for Trunks...

But above all, it is saying to check the HCL...

Also, please can you guide me where can I find the VT option in my bios?? I checked every corner for it... but not found...

Processor is surely Intel core i3 and M/B is DH61SA surely...

0 Kudos
aq_mishu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

and here it is... the motherboard is not showing anything about VT, nor even anything about 64bit.

Also the HDD seems have some trouble... I tried Pmagic ISO and that showed me 32bit while I was doing some benchmark.

And CentOS 5.5 installation failed to get the hdd...

so there is the trouble... the entire package is troublesome and time for warranty call...

Thanks guys...

Mishu~

0 Kudos