VMware Cloud Community
davidyuz
Contributor
Contributor

Does ESXi have capability to run virtual images created from VMWARE Server 2.0.2?

I have yet time to test this feature in the lab. I would assume that ESXi should have capability to run virtual images created from VMWARE Server 2.0.2? Correct?

David.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

No it does not directly - you will have to use converter to convert them into the approriate format to run in vsphere -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

As mentioned above, you'll need to use the VMware Converter to perform a p2v operation on them. If you're running Linux VM's, look at the Ghost 4 Linux product here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/ I used that when I needed to pull my Linux VM's over from Server 1.x to ESXi 3.5... If you're running the free ESXi 4 product, leave it in 'eval' mode so that you have full functionality during the conversion process. Once you've pulled all your VM's over, then you can enter your free code.

VCP4

davidyuz
Contributor
Contributor

So golddiggie, what you were saying that I could use my VMWARE converter tool to convert all my existing VM images created from 2.0.2 for ESXi format. Then I could load those images to my ESXi server and add them to inventory.

You also mentioned that Ghost 4 Linux product here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/. Can I run this piece of software on my Windows Desktop and start backing up all my ESXi virtual machines with compression? What I am looking for is a backup tool allowing run on Windows and has a capable to access to my VMWARE host to backup each of my virtual machines in ESXi with compression. One option is to run gzip tool from the VM host machine to compress each of my virtual machine images. Unfortunately, the gzip version provided by ESXi does not have the compression feature as it has been removed. Thinking to replace it with the one has it.

David.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

The VMware Converter product CONVERTS a physical, or virtual, system to one that resides on ESX/ESXi. Ghost 4 Linux is just that a package made to ghost/clone a Linux system from one set of hardware (physical OR virtual) to another (physical OR virtual). IF you bothered to read ANY of the documentation readily available about either product you would understand this.

Ghost for Linux runs on LINUX SYSTEMS ... Not a difficult concept to understand, is it?? Again, readily available on the web page. It only mentions Windows as being a place where it can store images, hence the CIFS support comment... IF you clicked on the "Show project details" button on the page on Sourceforge.net you would see the "Operating Systems: Linux" line... Right there in black and blue... The "Programming Language: Unix Shell" should have been another clue that it's a Linux/Unix only app. The release I had originally used was back in the upper 20's, probably something between .24 and .26 (time line looks about right). Since moving to ESXi I've not needed the product since I create ALL my servers on my ESXi host. I can't see ever creating a server as a stand-alone box again. At least not while I have ESX/ESXi available to me.

I also have a feeling you're using the term "images" improperly. Images, when it comes to computers/IT, are what you use to create NEW systems for deployment. Such as imaging a desktop before deploying it. Images are typicially created with the base level of software that the majority of users need, to make deploying machines easier/faster. I've been able to create processes, using proper tools, that image desktops in about 20 minutes. It would take longer than that to JUST install the OS onto the exact same systems. The images also had software like Office Pro, and a variety of third party apps (most of them normally requiring reboots between installs).

"Deploy from Template" is a type of imaging process that you can use inside ESX/ESXi.

VCP4

0 Kudos
SteveDavidson
Contributor
Contributor

Golddiggie, when you were a boy and you asked a question in school, did your teacher tell you to read the f'ing book? Maybe you should step back and consider what your purpose is here. Is it to aid, help, teach? Or is it to discourage, ridicule, make yourself feel superior.

Be a teacher or be quiet.

0 Kudos