VMware Cloud Community
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Document/KB Article For Route Based on Mac Hash Calculation

Is there any KB article or document available from the vmware that explains Route Based on Mac Hash Calculation?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
9 Replies
nshetty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On a vswitch route based on mach hash is not the same as in physical switch.

If you choose route based on mac hash in a vswitch the algorithm routes the packets based on the mac address. Only one network adapter would be used at a given point of time.

Cheers,

NS

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I need actual calculation if any vmware link is available then tell me.

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
nshetty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

An algortithm runs at the background that assigns a pnic for every VM nic. The algorithm does the calculation based on a number of parameters that is a part of the code.

The calculation for this cant be done manually.

Why are we looking for this calculation ? what is the use case for the same ?

Cheers,

NS

0 Kudos
maximdvm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

From "VMware Virtual networking Concepts":

"Route based on source MAC hash — Choose an uplink based on a hash of the source Ethernet MAC address.When you use this setting, traffic from a given virtual Ethernet adapter is consistently sent to the same physical adapter unless there is a failover to another adapter in the NIC team. Replies are received on the same physical adapter as the physical switch learns the port association.This setting provides an even distribution of traffic if the number of virtual Ethernet adapters is greater than the number of physical adapters.A given virtual machine cannot use more than one physical Ethernet adapter at any given time unless it uses multiple source MAC addresses for traffic it sends"

Page 8

Regards,

Max

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

i am asking for official doc from vmware with this calculation

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
nshetty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is no doc for this. It is the code that does the calculation.

If you are asking for the doc then you are indirectly asking for the code that is responsible for this.

Are you working on SDK ?

Cheers,

NS

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not an official VMware documentation, but it explains the different policies including "MAC Address Based Load Balancing" and how it is calculated.

http://kensvirtualreality.wordpress.com/2009/04/05/the-great-vswitch-debate%E2%80%93part-3/

André

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Like there is a KB article available for the IP hash policy....i am just looking for that KB.

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos