VMware Cloud Community
stimulant
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do update versions matter for VM compatibility?

I've got a VM that was stable under 6.7 U2 which is now unstable (hangs the entire VMware system after ~36 hours) upon updating ESXi to 6.7 U3b. When I view the VM details is says that its compatibility is "ESXi 6.7 U2 virtual machine" - is there a need/way to update this VM to 6.7 U3b, or are compatibility upgrades limited to major versions only?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As you can see in the KB article's table, there's no new version for ESXi 6.7 Update3.

André

View solution in original post

3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The virtual HW versions usually provide new features, and may be required for security reasons.
Other than this, you don't necessarily upgrade your VMs' HW versions. New ESXi versions support older HW versions.

For a list of these versions, and the product versions for which they were introduced, please see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1003746

André

stimulant
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Spoiler
Thank you, André. Given that I'm seeing instability after the update, is there a way to update the VM compatibility from 6.7 U2 to 6.7 U3b? I don't see an "Update hardware" option on the VM.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As you can see in the KB article's table, there's no new version for ESXi 6.7 Update3.

André