VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do I need to use all 8NICs for vSphere 5.1 ?

Hi,

We just purchase a new Server to replace an old one for running vSphere 5.1

We are not using Distributed vSwitch and use a FC SAN (No iSCSI or NFS).

Just wonder whether we should use 6 NICs only (2 for Management / 2 for VM / 2 for vMotion) OR we should allocate 4 NICs for VM ?

Your advice is sought.

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It is not common for VMs to need more then 2 x 1Gbps when FC storage is used. Hardly ever see network bandwidth as the bottleneck, so I am guessing using 6 x 1Gbps should be enough. If not then adding one shouldn't be too big of a deal either Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CoolRam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is completely you call. If you have the hardware then you always need to setup the environment  with the high Availability and good performance.

Better you use the configuration in active /standby mode.

Apart from this if you choose to connect redundant network from different physical switch than it will reduce the chance of  single point of failure(). Take Management  Nic network is coming from two different switch.

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
vfk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I would recommend multi-nic vmotion, and use the rest for VM+Management.  If you have enterprise plus, consider load based teaming (LBT);

I don't really any value of having nic in standby if you have the option to use them.

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Does Multi-NIC vMotion means that you prefer to use 4 NICs for vMotion ?

Unfortunately, we don't get Enterprise Plus License.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It is not common for VMs to need more then 2 x 1Gbps when FC storage is used. Hardly ever see network bandwidth as the bottleneck, so I am guessing using 6 x 1Gbps should be enough. If not then adding one shouldn't be too big of a deal either Smiley Happy

0 Kudos