VMware Cloud Community
Shashi112
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dll Error -

Hi All ,

After upgrading the virtual hardware from 7 to 09 we are getitng the following error on this virtual Guest .

The Procedure entry point GuestApp_openURL could not be located in the dynamic link library vmtools.dll

Does any one know how we are solve this error .

Thanks in Advance !!..

Shashi

http://virtualization-tips.blogspot.nl/
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CONSINTOALEX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

if i see well the old registry key wasn't deleted during tools upgrade. See RUN Key on your VM:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You will find:

VMware Tools="C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\VMwareTray.exe"

what is the old key, you should delete it.

The new one is (you must have this key too):

VMware User Process="C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\vmtoolsd.exe -n vmusr"

I had the same issue after importing a VM from 4.1 ESX server to ESX 5.1 using OVF. I had activated "upgrade vmware tools" during power cycle and possible was to quick with login and reboot the VM. Repairing VMWare Tools didt solve the problem, after deleting the key "VMware Tools" from RUN key and only keeping "VMware User Process" it was fixed.

Your question about when to upgrade VMWare Tools, your VM can run in every "VM Version" and is using only the features this version offers. VMWare Tools brings device drivers to the VM what matches to the ESX server version and hardware. If your VM is running old VMWare Tools it may working without problems but best practice is to keep the tools near to the ESX version. BUT if you upgrade your "VM-hardware" to the actual version ESX server expected some support in your VM given by VMWare Tools. If they are to old your VM may not start proper or in worst case will be damaged. So be carefully with that and look at your Tools version before upgrading vm-hardware.

Best regards,

Carsten.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, no immediate idea why you get this error, but did you try re-installing the vmware tools?

0 Kudos
Silica_V
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

After upgrading the Hardware, it is advised to reinstall the VMware tools.

Reinstall the VMware tools and check.

Regards,

Silica V.

Regards, Vijaykumar B.
0 Kudos
Shashi112
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes .. I did try the re-installtion . Even after re-installing I am getting the same error Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Then things to test:

- Try to register the dll manually with "regsvr32 vmtools.dll"

Failing that, if you haven't done this yet ...

- Completely remove VMwaretools, cleanup windows of any remaining files regarding the VMtools and reinstall the the tools...

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

Did you upgraded Vmware tools first or hardware version  first. Best pratice is to upgrade VMware tools first and then hardware version. Do you issue on all the virtual machines guest OS ?

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
Shashi112
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi ,

Tired both but no Luck ...

Error msg after the registration :

The module "vmtools.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DLL Register server was not found. Make sure "VMtools.dll" is a vaild DLL or OCX file and then try again

0 Kudos
Shashi112
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had upgraded the hardware first and then the tools . Same procedure was carried about for all the VM in the farm .But only this machine has issues .

Could you please let me know why it is suggested to upgrade the tools first and then the hardware?

Thanks!!..

0 Kudos
CONSINTOALEX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

if i see well the old registry key wasn't deleted during tools upgrade. See RUN Key on your VM:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You will find:

VMware Tools="C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\VMwareTray.exe"

what is the old key, you should delete it.

The new one is (you must have this key too):

VMware User Process="C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\vmtoolsd.exe -n vmusr"

I had the same issue after importing a VM from 4.1 ESX server to ESX 5.1 using OVF. I had activated "upgrade vmware tools" during power cycle and possible was to quick with login and reboot the VM. Repairing VMWare Tools didt solve the problem, after deleting the key "VMware Tools" from RUN key and only keeping "VMware User Process" it was fixed.

Your question about when to upgrade VMWare Tools, your VM can run in every "VM Version" and is using only the features this version offers. VMWare Tools brings device drivers to the VM what matches to the ESX server version and hardware. If your VM is running old VMWare Tools it may working without problems but best practice is to keep the tools near to the ESX version. BUT if you upgrade your "VM-hardware" to the actual version ESX server expected some support in your VM given by VMWare Tools. If they are to old your VM may not start proper or in worst case will be damaged. So be carefully with that and look at your Tools version before upgrading vm-hardware.

Best regards,

Carsten.

Shashi112
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a ton Carsten.

Deleting the Reg Key solved the Issue.

Thanks,

Shashi

0 Kudos