VMware Cloud Community
Mostafa_0017
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disk shares absent in vSphere 8.0

I can't find any option to set disk shares or limit IOPs under VM settings > Virtual Hardware > Hard Disk

And it doesn't matter if I created a new VM or not.

Anyone knows if this feature was deprecated, or I am doing something wrong ?

On one hand, the feature Doc doesn't have a version 8.0 option in the drop-down menu, only 6.5, 6.7 and 7.0.

But on the other hand the feature is mentioned in "Virtual Disk Configuration" Doc for version 8.0.

Mostafa_0017_0-1687537721622.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

It looks like Disk Shares are now preferred to be managed by VM Storage Policies leveraging Storage Policy Components

Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 9.21.24 AM.png

When you go and create/update VM Storage Policy and wish to incorporate Shares (whether its custom or the OOTB options), you need to select "Enable host based rules" and under Storage I/O Control, you can then select from one of the Storage Policy Components

Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 9.21.45 AM.png

I suspect, this would influences the individual disk shares that you would have set, but provides a more global and scalable way versus manually tweaking each VMDK, which should still be possible using the vSphere API, but I suspect is shares configuration in UI was removed in 8.x

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Mostafa_0017
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

One more thing, Storage I/O Control is enabled on both Datastores that are participating in the datastore cluster.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

It looks like Disk Shares are now preferred to be managed by VM Storage Policies leveraging Storage Policy Components

Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 9.21.24 AM.png

When you go and create/update VM Storage Policy and wish to incorporate Shares (whether its custom or the OOTB options), you need to select "Enable host based rules" and under Storage I/O Control, you can then select from one of the Storage Policy Components

Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 9.21.45 AM.png

I suspect, this would influences the individual disk shares that you would have set, but provides a more global and scalable way versus manually tweaking each VMDK, which should still be possible using the vSphere API, but I suspect is shares configuration in UI was removed in 8.x

lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Here's a more detailed analysis of the change + confirmation that vSphere API can still be used to modify disk shares/limits, there's an example in the blog post https://williamlam.com/2023/06/vsphere-ui-behavior-change-for-vm-disk-i-o-shares-limits-in-vsphere-8... 

0 Kudos