Tewffik
Contributor
Contributor

Disk sata dédicated ( RAID5)

Hello all

vmware vsphere esxi 6

i have dell server with 8 disks differents capacity

RAID Type is 5

the disk n°7 is dedicated, so i need to know if one disk (0-6) fail, does disk n°7 take its place automatically or does it require manual intervention. Otherwise, if a disk (0-6) fails what to do in this configuration.?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Reply
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
The normal in a RAID 5 is that all your disks have the same capacity and characteristics.
As an exception, when a disk fails, it can be replaced by another one of higher physical capacity, but within the raid it will only use the declared capacity of the failed disk.
RAID systems can include a replacement disk called Hot spare, which in most cases will automatically replace a failed disk.
There may be cases where HS is not activated, and require user intervention.
All disk controllers have management software with which the controller and disks can be monitored and managed.

The ESXi host monitors the server hardware and receives alerts on the status of the internal devices, this requires the server manufacturer's drivers to be installed.
If I install ESXi with the custom image provided by DELL I should have the tool  PERCCLI to manage the disk controller.
Check if you have the following directory on your ESXi host.

/opt/lsi/perccli

/opt/lsi/

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos