VMware Cloud Community
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Disk defrag on active snapshots?

Hey Guys,

While going through some docs I read this - "Never do a disk defrag in a vm that has active snapshots" - Now why is that - because it will simply defrag the disk but write that data in the snapshot file rather than actually doing it at the block level on the vmdk file?

Please comment

R

Please award points if you find my answers helpful Thanks RJ Visit www.rjapproves.com
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Essentially the concern is that the snapshot files could inflate very quickly and consume a lot of space.  If the partition is significantly fragmented, then all those changes are written the the snapshot file.  So you could end up with large snapshots files as well as a period of heavy IO.  You'll also have an I/O impact when you consolidate the changes in the snapshot back to the main virtual disk file.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Essentially the concern is that the snapshot files could inflate very quickly and consume a lot of space.  If the partition is significantly fragmented, then all those changes are written the the snapshot file.  So you could end up with large snapshots files as well as a period of heavy IO.  You'll also have an I/O impact when you consolidate the changes in the snapshot back to the main virtual disk file.

0 Kudos
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Cool thanks, thought the same

R

Please award points if you find my answers helpful Thanks RJ Visit www.rjapproves.com
0 Kudos