VMware Cloud Community
CelticValley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Disk Provisioned Size Greyed Out

I have a virtual SCSI drive for a Windows 2008 64-bit guest. I have recently run out of disk size and need to increase it. From the online help, apparantely I can increase the size even while the VM is running. However, whether running, suspended, or shutdown, I am not able to increase the disk size. The option is greyed out, as you can see below. What am I missing?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just seeing the -000 in the disk name suggests you have an existing snapshot. You can expand with a snapshot. You would need to delete the snapshot first.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

24 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just seeing the -000 in the disk name suggests you have an existing snapshot. You can expand with a snapshot. You would need to delete the snapshot first.

DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you are stuck use the Standalone Converter to clone the machine to a new location. With converter you can customize and expand the size of the disk. Takes care of the OS side of expansion as well.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

>You can't expand with a snapshot.

fixed Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've never been able to expand with a snapshot in play.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I agree, bad things! I just fixed a typo you put in your original reply.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks

0 Kudos
CelticValley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You're right. Thanks for the quick reply!

0 Kudos
GenericMoniker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Suppose I have the same problem (disk size is disabled), but I don't have any snapshots. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

settings.png

snapshots.png

0 Kudos
Walfordr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Generic...,

Which version or ESXi are you using?

The guest properties is not showing your maximum disk size possible which means there is something up with the virtual disk or storage it self.  Do you use any thirdparty backup agents for this guest, something like a Veeam?

One thing you could try is to create a snapshot and then use delete all to see if that clears it up.

If you enable TSM and cd to /vmfs/volumes/WiLife Dev/BuildServer/ - verify your datastore names (you can do an ls -la in the volumes directory).  Do an ls -lha in the actual vm folder and see if you have any lingering snapshot files.  You can also browse your datastore from the vi client but if anything is hidden then TSM cli is the best bet.

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
GenericMoniker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It looks like it was a permissions issue. I had some kind of power user role, and wasn't an administrator. I found someone who was an administrator and they were able to change the disk size without a problem. Thanks for your suggestions, though.

--Eric

0 Kudos
Walfordr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

GenericMoniker wrote:

It looks like it was a permissions issue. I had some kind of power user role, and wasn't an administrator. I found someone who was an administrator and they were able to change the disk size without a problem. Thanks for your suggestions, though.

--Eric

Thanks for the follow up.  This is good to know because I have develeoped a bad habbit of thinking that everyone that post on here is always a full blown administrator for their virtual environment.  I never question roles.

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
vmfan96
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good topic.

I had the same issue where disk provisioning was Greyed out .

In my case it was because someone provisioned an IDE disk with the VM as opposed to a SCSI disk.

I was able to get arround the issue by using Converter as mentioned above.

When you get the options Screen in Converter

- Edit the Devices > for "Disk Controller" Drop down and select "Scsi Bus Logic".

- If you want to set the size of the Disk at the same time, you can edit the "Data to copy" > Select "Data copy type" and  drop down to "Select Volumes to copy" > Change the "Destination Size" for the disk that you want to increase

Hope this helps someone.

pcwizchick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same issue.  I created a snapshot and then removed it and that resolved my issue.  Thanks for the information.

tostao
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

One thing you could try is to create a snapshot and then use delete all to see if that clears it up.

Robert, this worked for me thanks.

0 Kudos
RavindraReddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks ..DSTAVERT  Smiley Happy

I had same issue and i found that EMC Networker backup tool was created snapshot and didnt deleted . i manually deleted the snapshots taken by EMC Networker and then i could able to extend the Disks.

Thanks Again Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
dmad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again..

In my case the default controller on my VM was IDE.. this was because esxi automatically set that when I selected 'win xp' as my guest OS.

0 Kudos
19richardvdm80
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can confirm that creating and removing snap works.

TedBWork
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This was my problem as well.  Make sure you remove your snapshots before you attempt to increase your volumes.  This took me a while to figure out

0 Kudos
amtambalika
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Deleting  the snapshot works for me. The grayed out disappears and  able to increase the size. Thanks.

0 Kudos