VMware Cloud Community
Artez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disk/LUN - Formatting : File size = virtual image size?

Hello,

I am trying to add a storage on a vClient and I am just stuck on a Formatting step.

As you can see in the attached, it is asking me to set up a "maximum file size".

Does it include virtual machine images?

Because I am trying to create few server images that can grow larger than 256GB.

or is it just .iso images and other files I might save on that storage?

vm123.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

BTW, "based on the maximum expected virtual disk size" means that maximum file size also includes VM image right?

Yes, as mentioned before, the VM's virtual disk is just a .vmdk file on the datastore and you'll need to select the appropriate block size in case you are going to use VMFS-3, which may only make sense if older hosts need to access the datastore.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The screen shot looks like you are running ESXi 4.x, although you are posing in the ESXi 5.0 forum.

With ESXi 4.x you need to format the datastore based on the maximum expected virtual disk size (which is basically a .vmdk file) wit a 1, 2, 4 or 8MB block size. ESXi 5.0 uses a unified block size of 1MB for all file sizes.

André

0 Kudos
Artez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vm123.jpg

No No,

I am using ESXi 5.0. (did not update yet but I will)

I just selected VMFS-3 if that helps.

BTW, "based on the maximum expected virtual disk size" means that maximum file size also includes VM image right?

Thank you

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

Just out of curiosity, why choose VMFS-3 at this point?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Since you are running ESXi 5 I would not choose VMFS 3 but VMFS 5 as that will limit the functionality of the VMFS storage since the features of vSphere 5 will not be availanle -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, as mentioned before, the VM's virtual disk is just a .vmdk file on the datastore and you'll need to select the appropriate block size in case you are going to use VMFS-3, which may only make sense if older hosts need to access the datastore.

André

0 Kudos
Artez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello and sorry for the late reply

I reviewed it again and it was just my short English..... sigh.....

Under VMFS-5 it said "Select this option to enable additional capabilities such as 2TB+ support. VMFS-5 is not supported by hosts with an ESX version older than 5.0"

and somehow I thought "our storage is 1.5TB so no need for 2TB+ support".

But thanks and now I know what to choose!

0 Kudos
Artez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you!

I will choose VMFS-5

0 Kudos