VMware Cloud Community
JarryG
Expert
Expert

Disconnecting cable from network adapter (VM)?

How can I temporary "disconnect" cable from network adapter of VM? I think if I uncheck "Connect at power on" in VM Properties, that adapter will be disabled completely (not present). But I do not want to disable it, I want just "unplug" network cable for a while. How can I do that?

Just to explain my intentions: I want to uninstall firewall in VM (Win7) and install different one. But I do not want to be exposed "to the wild" even for a few minutes till I install different new firewall and set it up. But if I disable network adapter completely, I will not be able to use that interface in firewall-rules. So I *want* to have network adapter, but *disconnected*...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Don't worry, unchecking "Connect at power on" will just not connect the VM to the network, the virtual NIC in the guest will still be present, but shows up as not connected.

André

JarryG
Expert
Expert

Is it really so? Because help says:

Connect at power on:

"...If you do not check this option, the network adapter is not available to the virtual machine when it first powers on..."

I understand it so that NIC will not be in VM as device at all. Maybe I'm wrong, but then it should be described better. It is a big difference when NIC is present but not connected, and when NIC is not present at all...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I agree, it really should read "... the network is not available ...". When you start the VM it will just not be connected to the virtual switch, i.e. cable is unplugged.

André

0 Kudos