VMware Cloud Community
tkutil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Disconnected/unresponsive Host

One of our hosts is disconnected from the cluster and unresponsive via vCenter of viClient possibly due to an unexpected outage on our iSCSI SAN. I can access the host via SSH and PowerCLI and it appears that the VMs are running. I already opened a call with tech support, but am getting impatient and wondering if I should try to rescan the datastores or restart the management agent. I'm assuming that these VMs are up because they are running in memory and as soon as some event makes them realize that there datastore is not available there is going to be big problems, which is why I might wait until the end of the day.

I can ping the SAN successfully with vmkping 192.168.10.200

If I restart the management agents with all my VMs crash?

If I rescan my datastores willl all my VMs crash?

I'm looking for a graceful solution if there is one.

ESXi 5.5U2

Dell Equallogic storage

TIA

Troy

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
bspagna89
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In vCenter can you right click the host and select connect?

New blog - https://virtualizeme.org/
0 Kudos
tkutil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, but I tried that earlier today with no luck.

0 Kudos
Sateesh_vCloud

If I restart the management agents with all my VMs crash?          Nope (as per given scenario)

If I rescan my datastores willl all my VMs crash?               No issues as VM's are up and running and Storage device is pingable

Can you see the CPU, Memory, Disk usage via ESXTOP?  (this will help to understand the reason for disconnect)

Also available inodes & disk space in root partition (vdf -h) can also contribution factors.

Follow KB

VMware KB: Diagnosing an ESXi/ESX host that is disconnected or not responding in VMware vCenter Serv...

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos