VMware Cloud Community
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Disabling TCP Offloading

We've been having issues with duplicate packets coming from our VM's.  We found an old forum post that says try disabling TOE.  We did this and no more duplicate packets.  So I started going through our templates and making this change so all new VM's start off this way.  Come to find out this doesn't work, because I assume the vNIC gets removed and replaced with a new one so it has a new MAC address.

Is there any way to have these driver changes stick after deploying a template?  We have disabled the following settings on the VMXNET3:

IPv4 Checksum Offload

IPv4 TSO Offload

Large Send Offload V2 (IPv4)

Large Send Offload V2 (IPv6)

Offload IP Options

Offload TCP Options

TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4)

TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6)

UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4)

UDP Checksum Offload (IPv6)

On servers that don't have this NIC we run the following, which I was hoping to add as part of the template deployment, but on all templates we are using VMXNET3's now and after running the following I check on the NIC settings via the driver page and nothing is disabled:

Netsh int tcp set global RSS=Disabled

Netsh int tcp set global chimney=Disabled

Netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=Disabled

Netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=None

Netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=Disabled

Netsh int ip set global taskoffload=disabled

Netsh int tcp set global timestamps=Disabled

Any thoughts on getting these settings to "stick" after deploying a new VM from a template?

2 Replies
markdjones82
Expert
Expert

We do the same thing, but unfortunately we have only been able to disable within the OS with the netsh commands like you listed.  I have not been able to find to disable it in the NIC settings so I am curious to know if it is possible myself

http://www.twitter.com/markdjones82 | http://nutzandbolts.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you run the commands, does it disable everything, even on VMXNET3, but just not show it disabled in the driver page?

0 Kudos