VMware Cloud Community
csergey
Contributor
Contributor

Disable Lockdown mode

How disable lockdown mode esxi 5.5

Does vmware esxi 5.5 has something like "hidden Console", because when I type ALT+F1in window of the physical VMware ESX host, I got in crond details, there is no hidden console there?

Or may be somebody knows how disable Lockdown mode in Esxi 5.5 without vSphere Center

Please help me

0 Kudos
9 Replies
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

The only way that you can disable lockdown mode is via vCenter. If you are unable to do this via vCenter, a way is a reinstall of the entire ESXi host. You could also try resetting the vpxuser password, which involves some linux commands and the editing of the passwd en shadow files. I'll see if I can create a guide for this, if it's really necessary. In that case just let me know.

0 Kudos
kiraa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Like the guy above said it needs to be done via vCenter. Why can't you do it via vCenter?

0 Kudos
SatyS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If lock down mode is enabled you can access the host through viclient only.Or else,DCUI root login will still be enabled.

If you have root creds,you can login to DCUI and disable lock down mode.

But its always preferred to use viclient.

Hope this helps.

-SatyS

If you find this useful,please mark the answer as correct/helpful Regards, SatyS http://myvirtuallearning.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

Enabling or disabling the Lockdown mode using ESXi Shell

You can run these commands from the vSphere CLI to verify the status of the Lockdown mode and to enable/disable it.

ESXi 5.x and 4.1

• To check if Lockdown mode is enabled: vim-cmd -U dcui vimsvc/auth/lockdown_is_enabled
  • To disable Lockdown mode: vim-cmd -U dcui vimsvc/auth/lockdown_mode_exit
  • To enable Lockdown mode: vim-cmd -U dcui vimsvc/auth/lockdown_mode_enter

Follow the KB VMware KB: Enabling or disabling Lockdown mode on an ESXi host

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
csergey
Contributor
Contributor

how can I connect via vsphere CLI to the host?

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

You can connect to ESXi shell using putty, before that you need to enable it through DCUI.

Check this KB link VMware KB: Using ESXi Shell in ESXi 5.x

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
csergey
Contributor
Contributor

I install vCenter. What the default username/password there? or when I setup it while install vCenter

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

If your installing VMware vCenter Server Appliance then its root/vmware or administrator@vsphere.local

0 Kudos
kashifkarar01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For vcenter 5.5 the default username will be the administrator@vsphere.local and the password which you would have given during the sso installation.

However, to get the local CLI go the host where you see DCUI (Yello screen) login to the host by pressing F2 and root password > go to troubleshooting option > enable Local shell option.

Then when you go back to main screen you can press ALT+ F1 to get the command line.

To disable Lock downmode using vsphere client connect to the desired host using its root and password then follow the instarutions as mentioned in the following weblink:

http://buildvirtual.net/a-look-at-esxi-5-lockdown-mode/

0 Kudos