VMware Cloud Community
Eternal_Snow
Contributor
Contributor

Disable Lockdown Mode before upgrade ESXi 4.1 to ESXi 5

Hi.

I upgraded my hypervisors from ESXi 4.1 to ESXi 5 by update manager, AFTER I UPGRADE MY VCENTER.

Version list:

VCENTER: 5.0.0 455964

ESXi: 5.0.0 469512

I take a long time waiting before my computer which running vSphere Client, seeing the esxi upgrade task paused at 22%. Finally, I decide to go to the server room to check the servers. That's a funny textbox displayed: Upgrade complete. Press Enter to restart.... WTF

After a server restarting (funny, we need to press enter on the console of this server), there is a "configuration issues" box listed on the vSphere Client panel of each hypervisors:

vSphere HA agent for this host has an error: The vSphere HA agent is not reachable from vCenter Server.

There was an error unconfigurating the vSphere HA agent on this host. To solve this problem, connect the host to a vCenter Server of version 5.0 or later.

After I use "Reconfigure for vSphere HA", the text changed to:

vSphere HA agent for this host has an error: vSphere HA agent cannot be correctly installed or configured

In Events, I can see more logs:

Cannot login user @ 127.0.0.1: no permission

Cannot upgrade vCenter agent. Unknown installer error

Suddenly, I found the reason. Just disable "Lockdown Mode" in Security Profile of Configuration tab, re-run the "Reconfigure for vSphere HA", everything goes fine now.

That's my story.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
psreekanth75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for trying upgrade and providing the feedback.

VUM does automatic reboot of upgraded hosts, manual intervention is not required. We normally do have this message appear in the console and after a brief timeout the host is rebooted without user intervention.

Second part regarding HA, we were able to re-produce it internally and filed internal PR, hopefully it will get fixed in update release.

Regards

Sreekanth

0 Kudos
Eternal_Snow
Contributor
Contributor

Yup. Maybe the server will be restarted automatically after a while.

One more thing to be mentioned: The CDROM tray will also be ejected before server restarting. Admininstrator need to close it manually.

0 Kudos