VMware Cloud Community
Lauan
Contributor
Contributor

DirectPath I/O don't release a device

Hi.

I'm using ESXi 5.0 (without vSphere) in a Dell PowerEdge server with one SAS Tape Unit and some troubles happened.

In this host, I have two controllers, one PERC6/i to disks and one SAS5/iR to the Tape Unit. I need to put this last controller (SAS5/iR) in Pass-Through mode and then I configure this device directly to a VM. And here is the problem.

I configured the SAS5/iR to DirectPath I/O in Host/Configuration/Advanced Settings and reboot the host. After the boot, the controller configured in Pass-Through mode was the PERC6/i, not SAS5/iR.

Now, when I try to remove the PERC6/i of the Pass-Through mode, the configuration does not work. The host reboot with the PERC6/i in pass-through mode.

I read the /etc/vmware/esx.conf to try find some trouble, but everything is OK. When I remove the configuration by the vSphere Client, the line /device/..../owner="passthru" is removed, but after the reboot, it comes back.

These are the devices.

Sem título.png

Anybody knows this problem??

Thanks very Much.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
emma234
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Lauan

Welcome to the communites

Could you please let us know BIOS version .

As you have already done setting on config file ,it seems eother BIOS problem , after restart dont forget to corss cehck the config file .

"He Conquers, Who Conquers Himself".
0 Kudos
Lauan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi emma.

I can't reboot the server now, but it's the production server.

When I can reboot, I going to see the BIOS version and if it's up to date.

Thank's!!

0 Kudos
John_Ross
Contributor
Contributor

If your server boots from the perc 6/i, the direct path i/o connection stops you from being able to save configuration changes.

I had this issue with a usb hub and usb memory stick i was booting from.

There is a workaround but i found it easier just to reload esxi.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1987125

http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/VMDirectPath/fix_config_issues.php#disable_boot

Good luck!

0 Kudos