VMware Cloud Community
kenglazeb
Contributor
Contributor

DirectPath I/O Configuration USB Not Working!

Several months ago I was running ESXi 5.0 and had no issues setting the USB ports on the host computer to be available via the DirectPath I/O configuration for assignment to a specific virtual machine.  Since I upgraded to 5.1 and subsequently to 5.1 update 1.  Since the update I have not been able to have the usb ports on the host set up dor direct access by the virtual machines.  When I go to the configuration tab under advanced settings for the host and hit edit, I can select both usb controller #1 and #2 and they get added to the list but require reboot before the change takes effect.  Upon rebooting the host the usb controllers are not seen in the list and are not shown to be available to any of the virtual machines.  Does anyone have any insight as to why it may have worked before the upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1 update 1 but not anymore?

system:

ESXi 5.1.0 build 1065491

Mobo: Supermicro X9SCI/X9SCA

CPU: Intel Xeon CPU E31270 @3.40GHz

1 socket

4 cores

8 logical processors

DirectPath I/O: Supported

Thanks,

Ken

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bergy10vopak
Contributor
Contributor

Hii

Does anyone have answer to this?

I am also facing the same problem.

ESXi 5.1 Update 1 on a DELL PowerEdge R710.

Have enabled VT on BIOS.

Using vSphere Client, i can also see that Direct I/O is supported but when i try to add USB controllers to pass through, i get a empty list (after rebooting the host). Nothing gets pass through.

Hope someone can help..thanks much.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Join the club guys Smiley Happy Esxi 5.1 pci passthrough broken

0 Kudos
bergy10vopak
Contributor
Contributor

thanks so much brotherrr!!

i had gone and open a ticket with VMware..hope they have a new patch to fix this.

0 Kudos