VMware Cloud Community
yadhug
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Direct Connect two ESXi Host with 10 Gbps

Hi Team,

Is there way to connect two esxi host direct without Physical layer. i have connected cables from host1 to host 2 Directly. 
Status shows 
Created a separate vSwitch, vmkernel on each host. So host 1 vmk adapter IP# 192.168.1.2 and host 2 vmk adapter# 192.168.1.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 . 

since it's direct connect and host links show connected each host connected with Single pnic its like non-routable network with out gateway should work. 

i don't know why it isn't working.. Can someone help would really great

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ESXiClash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The solution is to Create each vSwitch to each pnic on both hosts. Ensure the cables are connected properly to host pnic1 resulting in a connection to host pnic2.  Use vMotion IP Stack it will work like a charm with MTU 9000

the mistake i made in my test env is that got little confused with pnic connectivitiy and didnt create 2 vSwitch. After sorting out, When i vMotion in vmkernel.log you can see a Ref, it established 2 connection for Migration. thats a good sign. Based on Storage througput it will migrate accordingly. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How do you test the connection?

Try: vmkping -I vmk# IP-Address

Please note that it is an upper-case "-I"

André

0 Kudos
yadhug
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

nahh not working even with vmotion stack 

vmkping -I vmk2 192.168.1.2 -S vMotion

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What kind of network adapters/cables do you use? RJ45, DAC/Twinax, Fiber? Did you try to set a fixed speed/duplex?

André

0 Kudos
ESXiClash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The solution is to Create each vSwitch to each pnic on both hosts. Ensure the cables are connected properly to host pnic1 resulting in a connection to host pnic2.  Use vMotion IP Stack it will work like a charm with MTU 9000

the mistake i made in my test env is that got little confused with pnic connectivitiy and didnt create 2 vSwitch. After sorting out, When i vMotion in vmkernel.log you can see a Ref, it established 2 connection for Migration. thats a good sign. Based on Storage througput it will migrate accordingly.