VMware Cloud Community
microkid
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Difference between upgrade and fresh install of ESXi 4.0?

I have a whitebox ESXi server. It was running ESXi 3.5 fine for months and some weeks ago I decided to upgrade it to 4.0. I used the vSphere update tool to upgrade the machine online. All went well and it was migrated to 4.0 in half an hour or so. All VM's also worked. But, after some days, I had the feeling something was wrong. The new version didn't seem as fast and smooth as 3.5. Sometimes it would take seconds for the console of a VM to appear. VM's would take longer to start than usual.

Today, I inserted a USB stick with ESXi 4.0 on it and booted. I connected to my datastores and imported the VM's so I could run them. There is quite a difference: the system is much more responsive now and VM's start a lot easier. When I click a VM console, it instantaneously appears. VM's start very fast now, W2K8 starts in 10 seconds or so.

The upgrade tool is supposed to upgrade 3.5 to 4.0. It did that, but it seems there is a difference between an upgaded ESXi host and a fresh installed ESXi host. Am I the only one with this observation, or are more of you seeing this problem?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
esxtek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That shouldn't be the case. Can you post your vm-support logs and the logs related to the VM.

0 Kudos
microkid
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Well, I would if I could. As the system is running fine now, I wiped the old disk with ESXi on it and created a new datastore there. So no logs.

0 Kudos