VMware Cloud Community
zanix
Contributor
Contributor

Difference between Typical and Custom VM

I have a question while preparing for my VCP exam.

Which two configuration settings can be modified when using the TYPICAL option in the CREATE NEW VIRTUAL MACHINE WIzard? (Choose 2)
A - Network Adapter Type
B - Datastore on which to place the virtual machine disks
C - Disk Privisioning Type
D - Number of CPUs

As far i have practically observed , three options  (A,B,C) can be modified while creating TYPICAL virtual machine...!!!  only difference is that , DISK PROVISIONING TYPE  can be changed in TYPICAL without Title written in wizard,  whereas it is written during Custom creation...

then what could be most appropriate two options for this question ??VM-difference.jpg

Thanks,

Imran

0 Kudos
6 Replies
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Welcome to the Community...

Disk Provisioning Type depends on Datstore Type (NFS, VMFS)

If you are using NFS you wont get the option for Disk Type

SGPhoto_2012_02_28 13_55_29.png

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Its just the matter of security for saving the data file and VM configuration file on two different location ie if you are selecting

Typical

It is a simple configuration mode where you have option to select the datastore where VMKernel will keep VM's configuration files including .vmdk (disk of vm) on the same datastore.

Custom

It is a expert configuration mode where you have option to select the datastore where you want to put VM's configuration files excluding .vmdk , which will be on another datastore as define by you while creating disk.

(In case you are selecting the same datastore for both the tabs then there is no diffenence between both settings)

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
zanix
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks  aravinds3107  ,

I think i was not able to convey the main point of my question.  It is not about whether to have the option of NFS / VMFS .   For example, consider the fact to select VMFS datastore type in BOTH  Cases (Typical / Custom)  , then you get following three options in both cases

1.  Select Datastore

2.  Select Network Adapter Type

3.  Select Disk provisioning

My question is, Which two options out of these three are most appropriate ??

I have attached image of wizard while creating Typical VM  :-

0 Kudos
ahsaha
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Zanix,

Even  I do have the same confusion as I am able to change the Disk  Provisioning Type, Network Adapter and Datastore. But I think we need to think over option A. because there it may says Physical Network Adapter but not "virtual".

Amit Saha.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Zanix,

1.  Select Datastore

2.  Select Network Adapter Type

3.  Select Disk provisioning

All the three options are approprirate with the question in context. The typical selection will select the VMware selected best configuration for a VM like CPU, HW version, Mem, and will still ask the user to reconfigure the VM based on the enviroment needs.

Well, the above 3 options are the only areas, where the user can reconfigure the VM based on his/her enviroment needs in a typical selection of VM creation.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Physical Network Adapter but not "virtual".

I highly doubt this. The right answer as suggested by Zanix is A,B and C. In a infra enviroment, the user can select the nic to be provided to the VM based on load, application and the vswtich it has reside on. But it will not prompt for physical or virtual...

0 Kudos