VMware Cloud Community
biggieinternati
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Diabling promiscuous mode during production.

Dear all,

I have 5 ESX hosts with promiscuous mode enabled. I need to disbale it on all hosts. Is there any issues with doing this during production time on production hosts with running VM's.

Also should it be done at the vSwitch level and then on all Port groups?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There should be no issue in disabling promiscous mode while the VMs are running - do it the vswitch because by default the port and port groups will default to the vswitch level setting -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There should be no issue in disabling promiscous mode while the VMs are running - do it the vswitch because by default the port and port groups will default to the vswitch level setting -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

biggieinternational wrote:

I have 5 ESX hosts with promiscuous mode enabled. I need to disbale it on all hosts. Is there any issues with doing this during production time on production hosts with running VM's.

As long as there is no internal service in the VMs that actually need the Promiscous mode there should be no issues as Weinstein noted above.

Also should it be done at the vSwitch level and then on all Port groups?

I would say that it depends on where the configuration to allow Promiscous is done at the moment. Since it is a non default value it must have been set at either the entire vSwitch or at some/several portgroups.

A setting at a portgroup overrides something inherited from the vSwitch, so if the change has been made at a portgroup it must be changed back to default at the same place.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
biggieinternati
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys. I disabled it without running into any issues.

0 Kudos