VMware Cloud Community
andiih
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Desktop class hardware recommendation

The HCL shows only server class machines. I want to buy something to run ESXi on a fairly budget. I have been trying to upgrade a spare machine, but after much hair pulling, BIOS updating and network card installing, I have hit a blank with the drive controller so I guess I need to actually spend some money Smiley Sad Can anyone make some recommendations on "known to work" machines - Dell or HP or anything globally available and current range. I have to live with the machine in my house on a day to day basis, so quiet is important too.

Regards

Andrew

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jayctd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

While it is "Server" Class hardware I have ran ESX(i) 3.5 and 4.0 On Dell SC440 and 105 hardware without issue or additional drivers

They are a righly 500-600 dollar mid tower style ... actually not a bad entry level piece of hardware. the 105's go to8GB of ram and Quad operon processors as well.

Jered Rassier

##If you have found my post has answered your question or helpful please mark it as such##

##If you have found my post has answered your question or helpful please mark it as such##

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can "build" your host using supported parts.

See:

http://www.vm-help.com

http://ultimatewhitebox.com

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
andiih
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre, but I am really trying to avoid building a machine. Would prefer something off the shelf with a badge and a guarantee. OK, so when I take windows off the last bit of that goes a bit wonkey...but the idea is there all the same.

The HCL's you have supplied are great though!

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The problem with a desktop class machine is that they seldom ever have a complete list of supported parts. Since it is more common than not to have everything built into the motherboard you end up essentially building a whitebox again and picking and choosing parts. There aren't any (perhaps some in high end workstation class boards) real hardware RAID controllers on desktop boards so that is your first problem.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
andiih
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know I know - that was why I was looking for "known to work" rather than on the list. Andre's whitelist points at an Optiplex 760, which I guess is viable on my price range : problem is that I can't spec it to a quad core processor which is a shame. Andre's lists also don't have a lot of ESXi 4 hardware on at all - hence I'm looking for somone who bough a PC a month or so ago and has it running.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Even the Optiplex changes during the build lifecycle. If you look through this or vm-help.com forums you will still find "I can't make this work".

Find yourself a used Dell or IBM or HP server or spend your time looking through the vm-help forums for what combos have worked for people.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I just had a look at the dell website. I don't know what your price range is but someone may have a recommendation for a lower end server from Dell or??

0 Kudos
andiih
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was hoping my price range was zero and run on existing hardware. Now it looks like I may have to go double or even treble that! Seriously though, I'm expecting to pay around £750+VAT. A new Dell server IS double that, and right now that is too much. Second hand may be the way to go...

Thanks for all the advice so far - any more ideas, keep 'em coming...

Andrew

0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Andrew,

This thread http://communities.vmware.com/message/1293003 has some useful info about the Dell PE T300 - a quick check of Dell UK shows a price of 450 pounds, but you'll need spend some more on RAM etc.

If you do go second hand remember the need to 64bits CPUs and BIOS support, the PE2850 is on the HCL, not sure what a used one might cost. If you want to use FT and other advanced features you'll have fewer options.

0 Kudos
jayctd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

While it is "Server" Class hardware I have ran ESX(i) 3.5 and 4.0 On Dell SC440 and 105 hardware without issue or additional drivers

They are a righly 500-600 dollar mid tower style ... actually not a bad entry level piece of hardware. the 105's go to8GB of ram and Quad operon processors as well.

Jered Rassier

0 Kudos
VforVirtualizat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The NICS alone in a "desktop" class machine will give you a problem - even if they are Intel etc. Look at a PowerEdge R410

0 Kudos
andiih
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks so much for all the input. I'll go play in the Dell store, then post a spec up here so you can play spot the stupid mistake.

0 Kudos
andiih
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So how about this

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&kc=305&l=en&oc=SV2T1051&s=bsd&s...

But bumped up to 8GB.

I have a 500GB drive I can add

I have an Intel Pro 1000 NIC I can add

Is that similar enough to Jayctd config ? You mention "105 hardware" - do you think there is anything in this that won't be liked ?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The basic configuration does NOT include the RAID controller. I don't know if the SAS 6IR controller is a hardware RAID controller but???. Hardware RAID controllers can be more than the base price of this system.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1260580#1260580 seems to say that this could be a winner.

0 Kudos
andiih
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again. That's the second time you mentioned hardware RAID. I've not found it truly beneficial (maybe read I've found it more trouble than its worth) in anything less than storage array proportions - great in an EVA for instance but not cost effective in single machine - especially at this level.

My target use is development / lab, with only a single user (me) . There will be nightly backups of the VM's, all critical data is automatically off-sited anyway, and if the server goes bang, I can just run them up on something else - for me that's part of the beauty of ESX. My current setup runs ESXi 3 on a 3 yr old dual core laptop (Compaq NW8440, T2600 @2.16 GHz) with 2gb of memory. It meets my needs for quiet, manages 2 VM's at once, but beyond 2 it stumbles and stutters, and there are times when I want to be running 4 VM's - say a pair of Win2k3 in a simulated cluster, and a couple of desktop P2V's accessing it. This at the moment just doesn't cope.

So, am I missing anything without RAID, other than the obvious redundancy and possible speed benefits ? The article you pointed at indicates this hardware has been gotten to run with a USB stick boot and VMFS on the SATA drives, so I guess it should be OK. Anything to add?

0 Kudos
andiih
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thinking about drives... actually an iomega ix2 http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=bsd&cs=ukbsdt1&sku=A2319842 might open the door to some interesting things instead of going internal drives.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Please do report back your successes. The Iomega device does work and definitely will add interesting possibilities albeit somewhat slowly.

0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I would hope the Iomega device works, it is on the HCL after all!

With regards to hardware RAID, I think the comment was meant to be read as "avoid software RAID as ESX won't necessarily recognise it". As long as the disk controller is recognised, check some of the whitebox HCL list for details, you'll be well on your way.

0 Kudos