VMware Cloud Community
hariisish1
Contributor
Contributor

Deploying vm using ovf template is failing using ovf tool on ESX 6.0

Hi All,

I am trying to deploy vm using ovf tool on ESX 6.0 and it is getting failed, it used to work on ESX 5.5.

ovftool version is 4.0.0 (build-2189843)

esx version is ESXi,6.0.0, 2494585

vcenter server version is 6.0.0,2365580

I need any help possible , need to know whether the issue is from ovftool or ESX/vCenter side.

[root@RHEL6 profile1]# ovftool -v

VMware ovftool 4.0.0 (build-2189843)

[root@RHEL6 profile1]# ovftool --name=SOVSA-VM03 -dm=thin  -ds=DataStore2 --net:'bridged'='VM Network' --net:'bridged'='VM Network' --prop:'DNS_Server_1'=dhcp --prop:'DNS_Server_2'=dhcp --prop:'DNS_Server_3'= --prop:'eth0_:_bootprotocol'=dhcp  --prop:'eth0_:_domain_name'=dhcp --prop:'eth0_:_ipaddress'=dhcp --prop:'eth0_:_subnet_mask'=dhcp --prop:'eth0_:_gateway'=dhcp  --prop:'eth1_:_bootprotocol'=dhcp --prop:'eth1_:_ipaddress'=dhcp --prop:'eth1_:_subnet_mask'=dhcp --prop:'eth1_:_gateway'=dhcp /home/useradmin/Builds13/storeoncevsa-734561-B21-49-3.13.0-1519.2.ovf vi://Administrator@vsphere.local:12iso*HELP@10.11.8.197:443/esx6/host/10.11.2.78

Opening OVF source: /home/useradmin/Builds13/storeoncevsa-734561-B21-49-3.13.0-1519.2.ovf

The manifest validates

Error:

Error processing attribute "type" with value "OverheadMemoryManager"

while parsing MoRef for ManagedObject of type vim.OverheadMemoryManager

at line 7, column 3236

while parsing property "overheadMemoryManager" of static type OverheadMemoryManager

while parsing serialized DataObject of type vim.ServiceInstanceContent

error parsing Any with xsiType ServiceContent

at line 7, column 33

while parsing return value of type vim.ServiceInstanceContent, version vim.version.version10

at line 7, column 0

while parsing SOAP body

at line 6, column 0

while parsing SOAP envelope

at line 2, column 0

while parsing HTTP response for method GetContent

on object of type vim.ServiceInstance

at line 1, column 0

Completed with errors

5 Replies
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

By seeing the logs the observation can we made I.e. the ovftool is not understanding some the value type when u are using the vsphere 6.0 image. Can you look vmware documentation for more info.

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
hidden772
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I get the exact same error message when trying to "Upload to Server" a virtual machine from VMware Fusion 7 Pro to a connected vSphere 6 (vCenter Server Appliance).  I select the vCenter Server, then the specific ESXi host, and finally the datastore.  As soon as I click OK, I receive the error message.

I did find a workaround for this... if you connection Fusion directly to the ESXi host (and not the vCenter Server), then it will upload properly.

So maybe this is a vCenter Server issue?

0 Kudos
gjayavelu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try ovftool >=4.1.0

0 Kudos
jdo215
Contributor
Contributor

I just updated OVF 4.1.0 but nothing change, the error still there

0 Kudos
Simbu_C
Contributor
Contributor

After Upgrading the OVF tool to VMware ovf tool 4.2.0 the VM deployment works fine