VMware Cloud Community
emorgoch
Contributor
Contributor

Deploying Windows 2K8 R2 From Template - Not Joining Domain

Hi all,

I'm trying to build for our selves a Windows 2008 R2 template VM that I can use to deploy new servers from. One thing that I'm having trouble with is getting the VM to join the domain during the customization process. When the VM boots up from it's template, it restarts, the setup/customization process happens, but the VM remains in it's original workgroup, not joined to the domain. I've looked at the log in %WINDIR%\Temp\vmware-inc\ and the Event log, and neither have given me any information as to why it's not working. Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would check to make sure that the VM is attached to a network that has access to DHCP and your domain.  Also, you will want to check the Username and Password that you are using within the customization spec to verify that it is correct.

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
emorgoch
Contributor
Contributor

Checked both the NIC and the user, and both are correct. The only thing that I do notice is that the NIC card seems to be deleted and a new one attached when the template is deployed ,but I'm assuming that this is the standard process to make sure each VM gets NICs with new MAC addresses.

0 Kudos
emorgoch
Contributor
Contributor

More searching and my Google-Fu finalyl came to work for me. Finally managed to find someone's blog post suggesting that I use the FQDN and UPN for the domain and username, respectively, and everything worked as it should.

VMware definitly needs to update it's documentation with this info.

0 Kudos