VMware Cloud Community
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Deploying Failover cluster for SQL Server 2008 Enterprise tuning and best practice ?

Hi Everyone,

I am now in the process of building SQL Server 2008 Enterprise failover cluster for use with 3rd party server monitoring application (which also do some OLAP analysis for trends).

Since this project will be using SQL Server 2008 Enterprise over Windows Server 2008 failover cluster, I wonder do I have to separate the DB engine instance and the OLAP component or just make it as single instance altogether ?

yes I'll use the Physical RDM capabilities too.

I am looking for any specific tweaking for the VMware: maybe enabling the MMU and using VMXNet 3 and Paravirtual for the boot device ?

or within SQL Server eg. large pagefile in RAM, etc...

Any other suggestion and idea in tweaking and performance tuning of this failover clustering on top of VMware ESX will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi Everyone,

I am now in the process of building SQL Server 2008 Enterprise failover cluster for use with 3rd party server monitoring application (which also do some OLAP analysis for trends).

Since this project will be using SQL Server 2008 Enterprise over Windows Server 2008 failover cluster, I wonder do I have to separate the DB engine instance and the OLAP component or just make it as single instance altogether ?

Any other suggestion and idea in tweaking and performance tuning of this failover clustering on top of VMware ESX will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
0 Replies