VMware Cloud Community
Biga_b
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Deploy vSphere W2K12R2 template on standalone ESXi5.5 server

We have vSphere 5.5 with 6 ESXi servers in a cluster, and windows 2012R2 template to deploy VM's

I'm going to add another ESXi server in vSphere, but will not be in the vSphere cluster. We going to use this server for 4 VM's

How can i deploy the tempate on this "standalone"server?

Can i just copy the template to this server, register and deploy VM's.

Or do i create a OVF file?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

it doesn't matter if that host joins cluster or remains outside of cluster, as long as it is part of your vCenter inventory.

you can deploy VMs from your Templates which are there in your vCenter inventory. No need to export those as OVF.

But yes if this fourth host which you have in place is not going to be joining vCenter inventory then you need your vCenter templates to be exported out as OVF templates so they can be used to deploy VMs in your standalone (not managed by vCenter) esxi hosts.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

it doesn't matter if that host joins cluster or remains outside of cluster, as long as it is part of your vCenter inventory.

you can deploy VMs from your Templates which are there in your vCenter inventory. No need to export those as OVF.

But yes if this fourth host which you have in place is not going to be joining vCenter inventory then you need your vCenter templates to be exported out as OVF templates so they can be used to deploy VMs in your standalone (not managed by vCenter) esxi hosts.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
Biga_b
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The ESX server is part of the vCenter inventory, so I deployed a template successfully.

Thanks

0 Kudos