VMware Cloud Community
ra3ou1
Contributor
Contributor

Deploy Error : A required disk image was missing.

hi

when i try to deploy vm in new server give me blew Error:

A required disk image was missing.

pb.png

any body can help me to solved this problem ?

17 Replies
MartinGustafsso
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

What version of ESXi are you running? And what OVA is this?

There seems to be some reports for Cisco OVAs and GNS3 to have this issue.

0 Kudos
ra3ou1
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 6.5 Used

i try deploy OVA and OVF but both of them show me this error.

this vm is Centos and it's not for Cisco and GNS3.

I try to transferDeploy with OVF TOOL but give me again error

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

What file are you trying to do deploy?

Please provide the download link.

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
ra3ou1
Contributor
Contributor

sorry i can't share file because this file is  personality.

but it's ovf  and ova of in my vm in my old server and i need to transfer it to new server

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

With release of vshere 6.5, there is no longer support to export to OVA.

Release notes: VMware vSphere 6.5 Release Notes

pastedImage_2.png

You can either deploy OVA directly to the host

Re: Unable to deploy OVF/OVA Template - vCenter 6.5d (Build 5318154)

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
trulypaladin
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue and it turned out to be the ISO image attached via the emulated CD/ROM

adgate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check OVA or VMX files for hardware configuration and find out either your server is compatible with the required VM configuration.

Deploy an OVF or OVA Template

0 Kudos
Prophet068
Contributor
Contributor

as soon as i read this it made sense. third export is the charm

0 Kudos
vmwarewebuisuck
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

first and foremost vmware you suck , that shit right now cost me a few hours.

The webui client sucks , it's annoying me and many other people at my company on daily basis.

Also forcing people to use it, is ridicolous. It isn't even feature complete.

Just a lesson on how to replace software:

1. Make the alternative (webui client)

2. Make sure it's FEATURE COMPLETE (! you missed that point)

3. Make sure it's not worse than the previous software (vsphere client is still way better and has less bugs)

4. Make sure it's working for your customers

5. Don't force people to switch

THE CAUSE

Don't have special chars in the name of your vm or vmdk file. For me it was "[" and "]" which caused the import process to break.

But now comes the best part, this was working properly on another host, which still allowed me to use vsphere windows native client.
So it's obviously a regression in the webui client.

I can't guarantee it's the same issue for you but it was mine (other reason can be: cd iso file attached in the original vm which was used to create the .ova/ovf files)

THE SOLUTION/WORKAROUND

Manaully edit the .ovf file change the name of the disk so it has no speical chars anymore and then change the name of the .vmdk file to match the name in the .ovf

I didn't bother to find out how this can be done for .ovas but i guess it's possible as well.

Now to the final point of my rant: "How come no one was able to reproduce this ?! Just put in a little more effort to help your cusomtomers. "

Then i wouldn't need to write this post here to help other people just because you weren't able to

Edit: One thing i forgot : Also provide proper error messages , e.g : "Couldn't find disk image 'my[3]ubuntuvm-disk1.vmdk' in uploaded files : [.................]" , so one knows exactly what was expected and what the actual received files. 

amrlz
Contributor
Contributor

Yo MAn was having the same problem , and this was exactly what fixed it ! cheers!

0 Kudos
gastonkaing
Contributor
Contributor

thanks. it worked.

0 Kudos
fawkyooo
Contributor
Contributor

I know this thread is old but I'm having the same issue and when i go to Update and put the link in for the link you provided it says 

Warning.JPG

Is this a normal response? I don't want to brick the server and have to start over?

My background is very very very small with servers I'm self learning and have no formal training. just hands on messing around to get where I have gotten so far. 
0 Kudos
fawkyooo
Contributor
Contributor

And this is the issue I'm having with loading a OVF file. 

Missing Disk.JPG

0 Kudos
Romorange
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you "vmwarewebuisuck"

0 Kudos
Brixguy
Contributor
Contributor

If another is still having issues I found that the exported .ovf file is referencing a .nvram file, but the Deploy OVF GUI tool does not allow you to add the .nvram with the OVF and VMDKs. 

I deleted the line and the VM imported, but unsure what the result of not using the nvram image is....

0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

The NVRAM file can be safely deleted. I new one will be automatically created the next time the VM is power cycled.

The file stores the state of the VMs BIOS. So if you have made any changes the the BIOS, so it no longer has default settings, these would be lost when the file is deleted.