VMware Cloud Community
jsauter
Contributor
Contributor

Delta file size compared to SnapShot size

I have a vm with a snapshot size of 809GB but when i look at the Delta file it is only 9.8 GB.

is a Delete All going to run for hours?

There are 800 GB of Independent drives "SQL" that are not running on SnapShots on another volume.

Does get-snapshot somehow include these Independent sizes?

snapshot size.JPG

Delta Size.JPG

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The reported size should actually only show the used snapshot disk space. I just verified this on ESXi 5.5 U2 host. Are you sure that all other virtual disks are independent and no disks have been added or removed since April, 1 (when the snapshot was created). The 9.8GB of delta data doesn't seem to be much for more than half a year, considering this is a Windows VM!?

André

0 Kudos
jsauter
Contributor
Contributor

I found a delta file located on another host that is current...

Why is there deltas left in /vmfs/devices/deltadisks on other hosts?

should i be concerned and do a delete all and hope it works?

Delta2.JPG

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

The delta is only keeping track of any changes.  If you copy more data to the VM, it will get stored in the Delta until it's committed to the original when you delete the snapshot. 

Keep in mind that the delta file can grow as large as the provisioned size of the original VMDK.  So, you can imagine that keeping snapshots for an extended period of time can add up to using a lot of extra space you didn't plan on using.

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
jsauter
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry.. same esx host.. too many screens open..but still doesn't explain the size difference.

None of the other vmdks point to a snapshot. it is just the C: drive here.

I may just clone the C: instead of trying to put humpty back together.

0 Kudos