VMware Cloud Community
supranet
Contributor
Contributor

Dell md3000i iSCSI SAN compatibility with ESXi 5.x

The Dell MD3000i doesn't list in vmware's compatibility list for ESX 5.x. However, the MD3220i, MD3600i, MD3620i are listed as compatible. Has anyone tested MD3000i on esxi5 or have any knowledge if this will be making it to the HCL eventually? It took several months for it to appear on the 4.1 HCL.

0 Kudos
33 Replies
TelakEng
Contributor
Contributor

Upgraded our MDI300i to the latest (which appears to have a few fixes - the least of which is a memory leak).

Number of RAID controller modules: 2

RAID Controller Module in Enclosure 0, Slot 0

Current configuration                                       
            Firmware version:         07.35.39.64                    
               Appware version:       07.35.39.64                    
               Bootware version:      07.35.39.64                    
            NVSRAM version:           N1532-735890-005               
         Pending configuration                                       
            Firmware version:         None                           
               Appware version:       None                           
               Bootware version:      None                           
            NVSRAM version:           None                           
            Transferred on:           None      

RAID Controller Module in Enclosure 0, Slot 1

Current configuration                                       
            Firmware version:         07.35.39.64                    
               Appware version:       07.35.39.64                    
               Bootware version:      07.35.39.64                    
            NVSRAM version:           N1532-735890-005               
         Pending configuration                                       
            Firmware version:         None                           
               Appware version:       None                           
               Bootware version:      None                           
            NVSRAM version:           None                           
            Transferred on:           None       

Running ESX5i on the hosts (Dell 1955s see posts above).  Working fine - no issues to speak of.

0 Kudos
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

The issues as I understand them have been with failovers....    Did you test any failovers?

0 Kudos
segelhof
Contributor
Contributor

I just wanted to report back I am now upgraded to ESXi 5.0 w/ my MD3000i and it is working perfectly. I did not have any issues. I upgraded  the md3000i to the newest firmware and then upgraded one of my hosts to ESXi 5.0 using the update manager and it worked perfectly. I didn't have any issues w/ any of the datastores or nic's or anything.

0 Kudos
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

The issues with the other MD's were during failovers.     Did you happen to test one?

Apparently everything looked fine until a failover event and they lost access to the data stores instead of it failing over properly.

0 Kudos
BrooklynzFinest
Contributor
Contributor

More specifically the issue occurs when you have either MRU or RR as the multi path policy.  Issue does not seem to happen when setup with Fixed multi path policy

0 Kudos
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

Thanks for the further clarfication.    We inch ever closer to running 5.0 on some of our MD3xxx units.

0 Kudos
segelhof
Contributor
Contributor

I just tried it and it worked fine, we are using MRU. I've got 4 NIC's dedicated to iSCSI (2 to each controller, through 2 switches). I went around and disconnected one cable at a time until I got down to 1 and was still able to browse the datastores from a vm w/o issue. I then reconnected one and disconnected the other and was still able to view the files and copy back and forth without issue.

0 Kudos
jwollard
Contributor
Contributor

I want to add to this post.

I just did a successful upgrade of MD3000i from ESX 3.5 to ESXi 5.0, no problems.

Worked as I thought. I had to do a full re-install of esxi since there is no upgrade.

But I had two esxi (hp proliant and dell poweredge 2950) hosts that successfully connected to it.

Hope this helps anyone going to do this in the future.

0 Kudos
lobo519
Contributor
Contributor

Good to see that it seems to be working. Anyone else have any results good or bad??

0 Kudos
cusius
Contributor
Contributor

Hey lobo519,

were running an MD3000i on ESXi 5.0 without any problems. (Attached:1955 Bladecenter, 2x PE2950III, R610, PER220, PESC1435).

Regards

Norman

0 Kudos
MaximTech
Contributor
Contributor

After upgrading to ESXi 5 we ran into problems on half our hosts - odd since they were configured the same (minor differences in the iSCSI bindings).  Some wouldn't boot while connected to the MD3000i, others would boot but all iSCSI devices were unavailable.

I wrote up an article on a good workaround here - involves a proxy between ESXi and the MD3000i:

http://duaneshippy.myadventures.org/?filename=Reuse-Storage-No-Longer-Supported-by-VMware

0 Kudos
alexxdavid
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys,

Have anyone requested the patch from Vmware for the MD3220i as of lately?

It can be found on this link :

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201993...

I don't have support so don't know what it is about?

Regards

0 Kudos
jwollard
Contributor
Contributor

I am on vacation. Please contact the office.

Pete Farley

Farley@protis.com

0 Kudos
kiwijj
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I just upgraded a Dell 2950 host to ESXi 5.0 and had a small issue where I was unable to browse the datastores, though the storage was listed ok in the VI client.

That was yesterday afternoon. Left it untill today and I was going to go back to ESXi 4 when lo and behold I can now browse the datatstores fine. Everything seems to be working fine. Will leave it for a week and see how it goes before upgrading the other host. (this is for our development platform)

On another note we just purchased an MD3200 and MD1200 for our Production platform. I went away from iSCSI after all the issues I had with it and the MD3000i.

What a difference, everything is so much faster (probabaly because it's 6GB) As we only have four hosts this works a treat and as the MD3200 has 8 ports these were setup HA.

cheers,

JJ

0 Kudos