VMware Cloud Community
MikelPham
Contributor
Contributor

Dell R740 Broadcom 57416 Dual Port 10GbE BASE-T doesn't work correctly !

Hi everybody,

We have a Dell R740 with a NIC module part-number:

We installed ESXi version 6.7.

And we connect all the 4 ports (2 10GbE and 2  1GbE) to the switch (1GbE port). So that the 10GbE port is set to be 1GbE.

1.jpg

But the 10Gbe BASE-T ports don't work correctly: We cannot ping the Mgnt IP Address if it's set on the 10Gbe BASE-T vmnic as well as the traffic cannot traverse via the vSwitch with the uplink Port is set to be the 10Gbe BASE-T ports. As soon as the vSwitch's uplink port or the Mgnt IP address of the ESXi server is set on the 1GbE vmnic, everything works fine. In addition, when we try to install Windows Server 2019 instead of ESXi 6.7, the traffic go through smoothly no matter it is the 10GbE or 1GbE port.

We've installed the newest customized ESXi version for Dell R740: VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.7.0.update02-13644319.x86_64-DellEMC_Customized-A01.iso (Release Date: 21 Jun 2019).

So what can i do in this case? Are there any specific driver that can solve this problem.

Many thanks for your help, bro Smiley Happy

Mikel

Brs.

9 Replies
argonzalez
Contributor
Contributor

The same issue DELL R740 using the 10GBE Ports not working but the 1GBE ports works fine,VMware ESXi, 6.7.0, 10764712

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please allow me a question for clarification.

You mentioned that all 4 ports are connected to a 1GbE switch. However, in the screenshot, only two of them show as connected, and the other two have Auto-Negotiation set to "Disabled"!? Has this been done by purpose, i.e. is the issue the same with Auto-Negotioation on all adapters set to "Enabled" (which should be the default setting)?

André

MikelPham
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre, the screenshot i took just for illustration purpose (at that time i unplug the cable and test each port one by one). The issue of 10GbE port occurs no matter what is auto-negotiated or fixed 1000 Mbps

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I unfortunately don't have the hardware to reproduce this, so I can just tell you how I would try to proceed:

1. use the latest available Dell customized ESXi image -> OK, already installed.
  2. check whether a firmware update is available for the network adapter
  3. try updating the network driver (Download VMware vSphere)

Aside from this, it may be worth searching the ESXi host's logs (e.g. the vmkernel.log) for errors/warnings related to the network adapter.

André

MikelPham
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Andree for your guidance,

we are contacting VMWare Support Team to open a support case.

We've buyed the VMWare licensing already.

I will update if there is any news.

Brs

Mikel

0 Kudos
MikelPham
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

just for update, i've install the latest driver for 10Gbe Card but not successful.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=DT-ESXI67-BROADCOM-BNXTNET-21401950&productId...

Capture.JPG

I will collect the log and send to the VMWare Support team !

0 Kudos
Vitalyen
Contributor
Contributor

Soo, did you fix this issue ?

How ?

0 Kudos
TRAI1
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a solution now? We have the same problem

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
I suggest you open a new post for your query, this one is too old.
You should include as much information as possible:
version and build installed
make and model of the server
model and P/N of the card with problems
firmware and driver levels of the card.
Do I use the server manufacturer's custom image or the standard VMware image?

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos